Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannot upgrade Firmware on Icelink Plus current is 2.05- Anyone using it with RNS-D?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot upgrade Firmware on Icelink Plus current is 2.05- Anyone using it with RNS-D?

Hi all,

I have tried every method that I know of in trying to upgrade the firmware version on my Icelink but it seems like nothing ever happens.

I play the 'Start_update' file and dock it in the cradle, the whole track plays but the iPod just returns to menu screen.

My reason for updating the firmware is essential to me as the Icelink will not work with the RNS-D Navi Plus unit- a 'known bug' about the Icelink not working on 'ignition' in the revision history.

I've tried updating using my old Concert stereo, my current RNS unit and even a VW Gamma unit.

Could it be that I have a 'faultly' Icelink?

I've even got a newer style Icelink with the video out and having the same problems.

P.S. It works fine with both the Concert and Gamma stereos.

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Do a search on this -- been discussed many times before. Latest software is actually 2.17.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Do a search on this -- been discussed many times before. Latest software is actually 2.17.

Yep, I realise that the latest is 2.17, my subject was meant to read, I am currently running 2.05.

I also have done a search on this forum and many others (even have followed your 'link' in the signature but haven't seen anyone with quite the same issues.

Have tried alternately switching between FM/AM/CD using the mode button; playing the 'Start_update' from the IPod then docking it and before docking it; created a seperate playlist with all the config files and running it that way; disconnected the battery terminals and letting the power drain and I'm sure many others too.

I'm usually quite thorough in doing research/searching for existing solutions before posting a new topic but this is one of those ocassions where I've come to an halt.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, sometimes this is a little tricky...

I've seen enough posts on the topic of people having a hard time loading the firmware to know that it can sometimes get screwed up.

Here's a link that might help you... <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/audio/msgs/56427.phtml">click</a>

<i>BTW... a tip for you: people around here like it if you change the subject line to include the basics of your response (especially if it's a one line response). Makes for easier scanning of posts on the forum.</i>
Old 03-22-2007, 12:18 AM

Default Yep, I've seen that post too about the RDS button- but no response on the iPod.

(I realised about the subject thing as soon as I had posted up!)

Well the post you sent me and the majority of others, they at least are able to initiate the FW process (albeit after a few attempts)- where as in my case, it doesn't even attempt to start anything- e.g. the 'Start_upgrade.mp3' would just play all the way through and end if it were an audio mp3.

I've turned off the RDS on radio as well as the shuffle/repeat functions on the iPod. I have initiated it from both the 'Ipod mode' and from the radio- but no luck.

I normally never both upgrading the the firmware of any device unless the newer features are essential or of use to me- which in this case it is. Background is IT- if it aint broke dont fix it!!

Seems like I'll have to stick with the CD changer and FM radio for a little while (!)
Old 03-22-2007, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Similar problem but fixed by cleaning all contact points with

electronic cleaner and reseating all the connections. I don't know whether the reseating or the contact cleaner did the job but I am now running 2.17 after uploading 2.15 first. I didn't try 2.17 first, I just did 2.15 first. Again I don't know if this was the problem but I now am running 2.17 after a great deal of frustration. I did all this after doing a bunch of other things that did not work, ie. wiped ipod, tried tried earlier firmware on ipod and abunch of other "things".

Good luck
Old 03-22-2007, 01:27 PM

Was your Icelink working fine before cleaning contacts/upgrading the firmware?
Old 04-02-2007, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sorry been out of town. Icelink worked fine until radio had to be removed for

BT install, bracket install and GPS install. After I did all these "installs" (not all at once) the Icelink would work intermittently, ie. sometimes the interface would turn off when on FM sometimes not. The biggest problem was when I tried to call up the Denison interface and could not always have it registar. I was pretty frustrated and pulled everything putting it all back in a neat orderly fashion while cleaning the cavity, the contacts and even the housings. I took a very slow approach and took constant breaks even taking my dog for a walk. I am not sure if this reconnected some wire or jiggled the necassary connection but I know two things for sure; 1. Everything works fine and has for 3mos. 3. The only thing I did differently was clean the contacts and reseat them.

Best of luck to your dilemma.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:03 PM

Default Have sold the Icelink and a got Kenwood Media Controller KOS-A200 instead...

The Icelink was just a pain the a** for me. If it had worked then all good but I decided to get the media controller instead- works great and accepts many input sources inc: USB, RCA/Phono, 3.5mm jack and of course iPods.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Cannot upgrade Firmware on Icelink Plus current is 2.05- Anyone using it with RNS-D?

I just updated the firmware on my Ice:Link Plus and the following should be looked at to solve your problem:
- NB! NB! Your must change the Genre of the Startupdate file to "_config" and not "_Config" - this is case sensitive. The genre of the StartUpdate file must be exactly the same as the genre of the 780 or so update files that come with with the StartUpdate.mp3 file. Did you unzip all the 780 update files and import them all onto your iPod using iTunes?
- when doing the update, the head unit will keep on increasing the track number displayed every few seconds and, when it reaches the end, the Ice:Link will restart (head unit will say no source). Does yours do this?
- double check your settings on iTunes and make sure that the seting for automatically levelling the volume of imported files is not turned on - the update files must be inported without being converted in any way
- make sure that you reset your iPod before loading the 780 update files onto it and also make sure that your iPod only contains the update files - no other audio MP3 files must be on the iPod (especially make sure that there is no carifclear.mp3 file on your iPod)
- try contacting Dension support for the carifclear.mp3 and carifaudi.mp3 files to reset your Ice:Link and head unit before attempting the firmware upgrade if you are still not coming right
- The firmware that I got from Dension support for my Ice:Link / Concert head unit was version 4.15 (I presume this is the latest version available).

Hope the above helps you!

Quick Reply: Cannot upgrade Firmware on Icelink Plus current is 2.05- Anyone using it with RNS-D?