Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clifford Vs Viper Vs Compustar

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clifford Vs Viper Vs Compustar

Looking to put in an alarm and start, looking for two-way capabilities, and although every shop swears by what brand they carry and dogs the rest, wanted to know what other think... I am looking at either the Clifford or Viper as everyone says the compustar is a headache to program the remotes, I had one dealer that has both and says the Clifford is better, will give me more distance then the VIPER although DEI makes both units, and the remote is durable and easier to work with!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:57 PM

Default As a former Directed employee...

I will tell you that the build quality on the two is the same. I too prefer the Clifford remote but I think that's mostly a design thing.

I have heard the CS quality is not up to DEI standards. They seem to work OK.

The biggest diff is installation. Consumer Reports says that 80% of an alarm's effectiveness is installation and system setup, and I agree. Many Viper dealers in my experience shouldn't really be installing in nice cars. Longtime Clifford dealers carried the line before Clifford was bought by Directed, and probably have a higher level of internal quality control.

But install is the thing. If the wires are easy to yank or the brain is easy to unplug, doesn't matter which one you buy, does it?

I'd get a backup battery, a glass microphone, and maybe a 507M tilt sensor, no matter which alarm you get, and if you can't afford those things, drop down to a one-way alarm like the Clifford Concept 450.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: As a former Directed employee...

wow thanks for the info...but this is the the ultimate in my decision making...i have been advised to purchase a turbo timer, to help cool down my turbo in my A4 as apprently i am a hard driver (my American Ford can take it, my Japaneese INFINITI can take it but my German AUDI CANT!Lol) so i need an alarm that will allow me to arm it aswell as let the turbo timer do its thing! is there such an alarm....aslo ho wmuch is the battary back up galss mic and WHAT IS A 507 tilt sensor?
Old 04-28-2006, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Viper is the only choice IMO
Old 04-29-2006, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think i might get clifford the distance seems to be better then the viper
Old 04-29-2006, 09:31 AM

I hate snakes.