Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Component speaker help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2000, 07:16 AM
TM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Component speaker help!

I'm having problems finding any component sets w/ a 4" midrange and separate tweeter.

This is what I've found:
MB Quart Autobahn or Referenz Premium
JL Audio XR (buying ala carte)
Polk
Boston RC 41
Boston Proseries 4.5 (expensive)

Any ideas which ones will give the smoothest, most neutral sound? I'm leaning toward the Quart Autobahn or the Boston RC41s. One big concern- the Quarts are rated to something like 84dB/W, which is extremely inefficient. How much power do these little speakers need? Is 60W/ch. enough?

The factory A4/S4 Bose speakers are 4", right? I'm going to see if I can use the A4 Quart adapters in my 200, esp. if the enclosures are a similar size.

TM
Old 12-02-2000, 12:36 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Generally, 50W/ch should be fine...100W/ch is better.

As you start to turn the volume up louder, you will hear the benefits with the larger amp. If you feel that you like to listen at moderate sound levels, you'll get by just fine with 50W for most speakers (even the Quarts I believe).

I've had ADS speakers in this car and my previous car. I've also had MBQ's in my previous car. I found that a PPI amp feeding them 50W in my old car did just fine. In my current car, I have 100W. As I start to turn the volume up, the sound is a bit cleaner.

One suggestion...stick with good amp...none of those entry level Sony/Kenwood/Hifonics, etc. amps...their power ratings are somewhat shady. ADS, PPI, Alpine, Xtant, Sony ES, etc. will deliver the goods.

Another suggestion...forget the 4" speakers up front. Put 5.25" speakers up front. You will regret the 4" speakers. Even the 5.25" speakers can barely produce adequate mid bass. I wish there was some way to stuff 6" speakers in my door, but I can live with the 5.25" speakers. It's a tight fit, but they will go.
Old 12-03-2000, 03:27 PM
TM

Default Thanks- a couple more q's

I have a '91 200q, and the door pods near the map pockets hold 4" speakers currently. I'm hoping that I can use either the Quart adapters for the A4 or somehow make 5.25" speakers fit. If that's the case, I can use my existing speakers w/o any problems. I just need to figure out how to make the speakers fit.

I have a mediocre Sony amp right now, but plan on upgrading in the future to a PPI or something similar. I don't play at very high volume, but I know that any good speakers like to be fed a decent amount of power. Still better than running the speakers off the head unit, though. :-)

If the Sony is bridgeable to mono, I can use it for a sub amp if I upgrade the amp.

Taka
Old 12-05-2000, 04:02 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Where is the question?

Sorry, I didn't see a question in there...sounds like a good plan. I didn't realize you were putting this in a 200. I don't have any familiarity here...so I can't help with fitment.

If your Sony bridges into 200W @ 4 ohms, it should work fine as a sub amp. If it has a built in cross over...great. If not, you may find yourself buying a new sub amp down the road too.
Old 12-09-2000, 05:08 PM
TM

Default Oops. No question. But (more)

What I meant to ask is if 5.25" speaker will
fit in my doors and if Quart adapters are useful
for this application.

I'm taking the door apart this weekend, so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks for the feedback,
TM