Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concert I in V8...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concert I in V8...

Okay..so I *might* be doing something quite tabu..

I have '90 V8 Quattro (bose) with a Gamma CC head unit, and I'm trying to install a Concert into it. I already know it's a DIN+ and the changes for the pinouts, my question is once installed in the older car, is there away (VAG-COM or other) to get the unit into diag mode, to soft select the correct options? (such as bose)

Thanks!

Scott '90 V8Q
Old 11-10-2006, 11:16 PM

Default The Concert Bose is 4ohms, Gamma Bose is 1.2ohms or something strange.

You'll have trouble making it sound good with anything besides Gamma in there unless you replace the stock amps and speakers.

You also won't be able to VAG it in the V8 becuase it needs to be connected to a k line from an OBD II car.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: The Concert Bose is 4ohms, Gamma Bose is 1.2ohms or something strange.

Hummm.. I believe that to be true about the speaker resistance (and the amps are set for that) However I thought that the "line out" that feeds the amps would be the same from both units.

Do you (or anyone) have a concert manual or tech service guide that I could "borrow"?

Thanks for the heads up..

Scott
Old 11-11-2006, 12:30 PM

Default Pretty sure the line out feeds are different.

My Concert says 4Ohms on the bottom and I never had Gamma Bose, but I'm pretty sure you can't add aftermarket speakers to it.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The Bose setting is actually set on the rear of the HU, not via diagnostics

There's a Bose pin on the power ISO connector. This just needs to be grounded to put the HU into Bose mode with the flat EQ. The Bose displayed on the HU is a VAGCOM setting, but is purely cosmetic.
Bose speakers are 2 ohm, non Bose are standard 4 ohm impedance. The pre-outs from the concert should be the same as the original HU, located on the mini-ISO plug. So no problems there as all the Bose speakers are driven by the seperate Bose amp.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: The Bose setting is actually set on the rear of the HU, not via diagnostics

Thanks..

This is what suspected. I read thru all the post back a few years befoe I did it and did notice the bose pin (Concert II??) I think the Concert I's pin is still labeled gamma.. (I don't which one I'm getting..it's from ebay.)But I'll be sure to ground it. The thing's to VAG would be some of the "other settings.. CD Player, secondary display things like that,. but I appreciate all the help!

Scott
Old 11-12-2006, 09:02 AM

Default Grounding the Bose pin will only make the output go flat.

Soft coding allows you to toggle between powered front speakers for non-Bose and pre-outs for Bose.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Grounding the Bose pin will only make the output go flat.

that's the only important bit. If you have a Bose system then you don't need to switch on the internal front amp.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:27 AM

Default My point was it's not purely cosmetic...

If the guy gets a Concert that was in a non Bose car he will need to VAG it.

Also, I'm going to test a Bose rear amp and speakers with Concert in a few minutes to see if it truly does work. A few people told me it should work, and I also read somewhere it wouldn't so now I'm curious.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: My point was it's not purely cosmetic...

Which was one of my original thoughts.. Thanks for lookin' out.

Quick Reply: Concert I in V8...