Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DVR vs. DVD-RW: I want to upgrade my video recording capabilities before the Bahrain GP on 04/04/04

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVR vs. DVD-RW: I want to upgrade my video recording capabilities before the Bahrain GP on 04/04/04

so I can time-shift that and other races (first two races are Australia and Malaysia which are on Saturday night so no need to time shift). I like the idea that what you record would be portable on DVD, but figure the DVR would = much higher quality recoding, especially if I get some HD content going this year. Wadda ya think if you could not have both?
Old 12-29-2003, 12:12 PM

Default Re: DVR vs. DVD-RW: I want to upgrade my video recording capabilities before the Bahrain GP on 04/04

Here is some background information on the different formats.

Three competing recordable-DVD camps
Electronics and computer manufacturers couldn't agree on a single standard for recordable DVD, so they've split into three camps. DVD-R/RW is backed by Pioneer and supported on the computer side by Apple; DVD-RAM is backed by Panasonic with support by Toshiba; DVD+R/RW is backed by Sony and Philips, with support from Hewlett-Packard.

With so many formats and compatibility issues, and only a handful of DVD recorder models available to consumers, it's difficult to say with total certainty which discs will play in which recorders (or players!).

There are some technical differences among these formats, but the most important distinction for consumers is compatibility with existing DVD players (and computer DVD-ROM drives). DVD-R is the format that's most compatible with current players and drives. DVD-RAM is the least compatible -- it will only play on DVD players specifically designed to handle it. However, DVD-RAM does offer some unique capabilities, such as simultaneous record and playback, which provides some of the same conveniences as a TiVo hard disk recorder.

If you want to make your original recording on the DVD-RW ,edit it, ge it like you want it, then record it on a DVD-R, that would be the best option for you. Then you have a finalized copy the way you wanted it and it will most likely play back in MOST of the dvd players out there.<ul><li><a href="http://www.crutchfield.com/i-rad1cdix/index.html">www.Crutchfield.com</a></li></ul>
Old 12-29-2003, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default So is that a vote for a dvr as opposed to a DVD? Plus most DVRs will record HDTV whereas that is not

possible with any DVD, correct?

P.S. I cannot find a DVR from Sony. Do they not make them?
Old 12-30-2003, 12:25 PM

Default Re: So is that a vote for a dvr as opposed to a DVD? Plus most DVRs will record HDTV whereas that is

Actually you can't record HDTV directly to a DVD (with any format ).
Right now, the only way to record HDTV is with a digital VCR. You have to have a set top box that will pass the HDTV signal via IEEE1394 connection ( the samsung 165 ) is the only one that I'm aware of that will do that. Via, the firewire connection ,you can then record with a digital VCR your HDTV signals.That is for now ,anyway.

As for your question, yes I would go DVD-R as my main recording mode.<ul><li><a href="http://www.crutchfield.com/i-rad1cdix/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=305SIRT165">Samsung 165 HDTV tuner</a></li></ul>
Old 12-30-2003, 12:28 PM

Default Re: So is that a vote for a dvr as opposed to a DVD? Plus most DVRs will record HDTV whereas that is

Here is a Sony DVD recorder. It is a pretty nice one too and is the most versatile.<ul><li><a href="http://www.crutchfield.com/i-rad1cdix/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=158RDRGX7">Sony DVD recorder</a></li></ul>