Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to get the most out of your subs is it better to face them in to the boot or in to the salon of the

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to get the most out of your subs is it better to face them in to the boot or in to the salon of the

car and also leave the box sealed or have it ported or does it depend on which way you put it?

TIA
Old 08-25-2002, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default in general facing into open air space (towards rear) is best

Ported or Sealed depends on what sound you want to achive.

Sealed is the best for sound quality, Ported is better for more volume, but they can be tuned with sound quality in mind.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

but what about mark p's old set up would that be an ideal set up would you port that or leafe it sea
Old 08-26-2002, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think his old setup was just a sealed box firing towards the back seat?

Not sure. If you have them fire towards the back seat, it will sound ok as well. Most people end up opening the ski sack or folding down a rear seat when they listen if they fire at the back seat.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:04 AM

Default fire it to the rear

if your box isn't bolted down you can play with how close to the rear of the trunk the subs are. It will change the general sound and how hard they hit.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My recent experiences...

My system was originally designed to have two MB Quart DVC 12"s in a sealed box fire towards the rear. The box sat in back of an amp/crossover board that filled the passthrough behind the rear seats.

I was somewhat dissapointed with this setup as the bass wasn't as tight as I had hoped and was a bit muffled. Having the rea seats down improved things somewhat.

An installer suggested that I turn the box around and have them fire directly into the back of the hardwood amp/crossover board. Surprisingly, this really tightened up the bass but was reaking havoc on the board (crossovers and capacitor) started rattling. Unfortunatly, I also noticed that the bass wasn't as deep as before - probablt b/c they weren't moving as much air in this position.

This weekend, I tried a different approach. I laid the box on its back and now the subs fire skyward with about 8 inches of space between them and the rear deck. Voila! IMO, it sounds awsome. I will keep adjusting this week - but I may have found a permanent home for the subs..
Old 08-26-2002, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 1/4 wavelength rule says you'll get more dBs if its aimed rearward, but

this is never always spot-on. The best thing to do is experiment.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default oh yes they can.....hehehe, btw...

i was about to take the $2k challenge on a 10w7 and a 500.1, then i heard it installed. everyone was raving about the car, so we listened to the same tracks in both cars (mine and a rsx with 300.4 driving mb premiums and 500.1 on the 10w7, eclipse monitor running it all). the rsx sounded good, but a little hollow due to the lack of damping in the car (build quality becomes obvious here). the 10w7 was tight, really tight, but not amazing, not $2k amazing. and overall the car was not as impressive as it was built up to be, especially when we played the same exact tracks (various from musically accurate downtempo, to heavy rap, to techno) in my car for all to hear and the overall system was a lot more accurate and warm. i won't say my 10w3 blew it away, but it kept up on the bass heavy tracks (just not as low and clean, but actually the 10w7 seemed to aver accentuate at this point, maybe add a little musically), and surprised quite a few people. decided next thing in the car is a little more clean-up on the front staging, rather than more low-end.

have you looked into the image's yet? i really wouldn't mine checking them out, just do not want to power them at what they want (hence why i am not running the w7's yet).
Old 08-27-2002, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm about to dump 2K on wheels/tires, so the stereo will be after that

Gotta pay off the wheels/tires, then I'll look into changing out stereo stuff. My trip tp gainsville got canned and will get rescheduled sometime over the next couple of months, so that's when I will stop by that shop and chat with them.
Old 09-02-2002, 03:57 PM

Default LINK on Subwoofer aiming

Just found this link, I had saved it many moons ago. Hope it helps..<ul><li><a href="http://www.installer.com/tech/aiming.html">http://www.installer.com/tech/aiming.html</a</li></ul>