Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to install my amp myself, need some help/suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to install my amp myself, need some help/suggestions

Im going to install a Rockford bd1000.1 amp for my subs and just need a few suggestions, 1) Where is the best place to go though the firewall? (a pic would be great) 2) Would running the power/rca's to the trunk under the doorsills (on oppposite sides) be smart, and how do I take thoes off? 3) How is the best way to get my RCA's/remote turn on wire to my HU (Alpine CDA-7873), do i need to take apart my dash and how do i take that apart?? 4) Also where is the best place to put the amp ground wire?(PIC's)

Thanks in advance for your help, i have a few friends who have installed amps before that are going to help me with this, I just thought id ask for everyones advice here before i began.

Pete - 1998.5 A4 2.8Q
Old 03-18-2002, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Going to install my amp myself, need some help/suggestions

1. There is a grommet under the knee bolster on the drivers side..remove the panel underneath (easy) and you will find it.

2.run the wires under the carpet not the doorsills (not enough room and they could get pinched)they come off pretty easy a couple screws and the long one on the bottom prettey much pulls off (has clips) with the exception of 1 screw in the rear I believe.

3.you will run the remote wire wit the power on the drivers side, you can tuck it under the dash neatly and feed it behind the center console. (it's easy)You don't need ot take apart your dash, just pull the radio out and you can feed it through fromt he back

4.I grounded mine to one of the seatbelt bolts. Try to make the ground wire shorter then a foot in length if you can..if not make it was short as possible.
Old 03-28-2002, 05:17 AM

Default Re: Going to install my amp myself, need some help/suggestions

I went thru the hood release gromet. It is on the drivers side under the plastic cover. Just pull off the rubber strip on the front and it pulls right out. That gets you good access to the batt. too.

Pull off kicks ( two screws ) then pull up on the sills (another screw in back ) The rear seat just pulls up with a good tug. Use one of the seat belt bolts for a ground.

To get the knee bolsters off you need to pop out the pannels on each side of the dash (fuse box on drvr side) there is a small bolt there. The glove box will flip down if you press (hard) on the square tab on each side. It makes the guide wheels go up (one at a time) then the G/B will flip down.