Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone designed/built their own subwoofer boxes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone designed/built their own subwoofer boxes?

I've been looking at this option, because I have access to all the materials and tools I need to build one. My hangup is with the actual design of a box. Now, I know that I could build a cube with a 10" hole in the front of it, and call it a box. But, all the sub-boxes I've seen have some design to them, relating to performance, cooling, etc. The subwoofer that I choose will relate to how the box will need to be built, correct? Also, does anyone have any general rules to follow when building a box?
Old 09-14-2003, 01:54 PM

Default if you really want to get hardcore about it, go buy the loudspeaker cookbook (or something to that

extent). I don't know what kind of gig you're wanting to get into, but designing a box with 3rd, 4th- order bandpass, etc...can get really tricky and quirky. for most applications and people, a simple sealed box gives tightest bass response, and a simple ported box (see the cone manual for size and length) gives plenty of loose loud bass. but to each their own. but in general, a perfect cube-shape is not good for a sub box b/c it creates standing waves. usually you want two of the walls skew in relation to each other, or something like that.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default most good subs come with optimal box design dimensions...

they will tell you if it is best suited for a sealed, vented, or band pass. And if you choose any of the three, it usually tells you the best optimal dimensins.

There's a book you can buy at radio shack for designing and building speakers. Also, the Car Stereo Cookbook is pretty good. It has some insight into sub box design and the use of dampening material... and why it isn't always a good idea to use it.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default I used to build boxes/and had that book

Let me say if you have not done this before you should just buy a box...Prices are very cheap compared to when I used to build boxes for me and my friends...

tuning is the worst,sealed boxes are easy to tune even a cude but portes boxes and bandpass boxes are the pits..
I will try to find my book I know I have it somewhere in this house.....
Old 10-12-2003, 08:35 PM

Default there are several freely available programs to simulate speaker box designs

<ul><li><a href="http://www.loudspeakers101.com/AudSoft1.htm">http://www.loudspeakers101.com/AudSoft1.htm</a</li></ul>