Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help interfacing 2001 TT Roadster built-in mic w/Bluetooth unit [Parrot CK3000 Evo]

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Help interfacing 2001 TT Roadster built-in mic w/Bluetooth unit [Parrot CK3000 Evo]

It has been a while since I've been here, but now I am back, and need some advice.

The really short version:
Does anyone have any hints on using the built-in microphone in the 2001 TT Roadster instrument cluster to drive a Parrot CK3000 Evolution Bluetooth handsfree kit? I have tried an old adapter design from a few years ago, but it is not working with the Parrot unit.

The short version:
1) I just replaced my Motorola V60 phone with a Palm Treo 650.
2) Also bought a Parrot CK 3000 Evolution bluetooth HF kit.
3) I want to install this in place of the Motorola HF kit which I had integrated in my 2001 TT Roadster (w/Bose).
4) It works pretty well for radio mute and audio output to the speakers...
5) ...but the old TT mic integration yields major distortion which I didn't have with the Motorola.

The long version:
I just got my first new cell phone in a few years [a Palm Treo 650], and it has Bluetooth, so my first order of business was to ditch the old Motorola V60 handsfree which I had installed in my 2001 TT Roadster (Concert/Bose), and replace it with a Parrot CK 3000 Evolution.

I had installed the old Motorola under the passenger seat, with the audio, power, etc. connected using a home-brew cable to the RJ-45 near the cup holders. Another home-brew device was plugged into the RJ-45 to patch signals correctly, and to deal with the TT's microphone. This was working pretty well.

To start with, I have just patched in the Parrot unit where the Motorola used to be. I am connecting directly from the Parrot unit to the tel +/-/mute connections with no difficulty, and have excellent audio output and radio muting. The radio and instrument cluster read "PHONE" when the Parrot unit is active, and if the radio/amp is off when a call comes in the unit is turning them on properly.

The problem is that the input from the TT microphone is not working. I get terrible distortion -- despite the custom driver circuitry which had worked before with the Motorola. If I use the microphone which came with the Parrot, I get no distortion.

I am hoping that someone out there has done this particular integration in a TT (or perhaps another Audi with a similar microphone) before. I assume that the problem is that the characteristics of the Parrot microphone input are different from the Motorola's input -- but unfortunately, my electrical engineering knowledge peters out when it comes to topics such as phantom power and impedance matching...

My ultimate intent, by the way, is to mount the Parrot box back in the cubby, with a new custom adapter for the DB-25, and feed only the connections for the small Parrot control out to the RJ-45. Then the remote can be mounted inconspicuously between the seats -- leaving a very clean and inconspicuous install which will not require any hacks into the TT's wiring loom.

Thanks in advance,

Joshua Moses Diamond
josh@windowoffire.com
Old 03-30-2006, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rule#1: always use the mic that was supplied with your HF kit.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default listen to ^^^^ Teddy

the Audi OEM mics are known to run on difference impedence than individual HF kit manufacturer's. it's possible to build an additional circuit to work around this (can't find that article at the moment) - but not worth it, IMO. easiest solution: USE the kit's own mic! less headaches.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sigh. Gave up on factory mic, gave up on the completely hidden install.

Oh well.
So much for my zero-dashboard-acne install.

I was hoping that I could make this install completely invisible, but it looks like that isn't going to happen. The plan had been to use the factory microphone, and to hide the Parrot control pad away in the center cubby, with the idea that I would use voice control except for setup, etc.

I gave up on the factory mic, and tried again with the Parrot mic installed just to the left of the radio. This is certainly working much better than with the factory mic -- but if the radio is playing even at moderate volume the voice command to activate the phone is not working. The Parrot unit cannot distinguish my voice from the radio output.

So, I bit the bullet and installed the Parrot control pad on the dash as well, so that I can hit its green button to wake up the kit. This turns out ot be a good idea anyway, as the pad is also used to adjust telephone volume, and to activate "discrete mode".

I was thinking about removing the factory mic from behind its grille and installing the parrot mic in its place, as described elwhere on this forum, but there seems to be some indication that the design of the Parrot mic requires that it be exposed for proper operation, so that is on hold until I can get confirmation.

As for the factory mic, I agree that the problem with the factory mic is most likely impedance matching. I had a circuit which worked with the Motorola kit -- but it just isn't doing the job with the Parrot. I also suspect that the DSP in the Parrot unit expects particular microphone frequency response characteristics which the factory mic doesn't provide.

That said, I still hope to eventually make use of the built in microphone. If I could just find someone with enough electrical engineering expertise to guide me...
Old 04-03-2006, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default here's where it used to be. Interesting. His handle was spidey.

<ul><li><a href="http://home.mindspring.com/~spidey3/TTPhoneInstall/">http://home.mindspring.com/~spidey3/TTPhoneInstall/</a</li></ul>
Old 04-04-2006, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default LOL! That was my writeup on the Motorola install...

LOL!

SpideyTT!!!, spidey3 and Joshua Moses Diamond all inhabit the same body -- and that is where their original writeup on their Motorola HF install used to be, before they switched providers. It showed the exact circuit which is <B>not</B> working for them with the Parrot kit.

Same guy, new email address, and a decision to eschew cryptic handles...

Joshua Moses Diamond -- AKA spidey3, AGA SpideyTT!!!
josh@windowoffire.com
Old 04-04-2006, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YGM. Yes the mic thing dates back to some of the first articles in the Tech section.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Using the internal mic has never been made to successfully work by a couple of guys

back a couple years ago. Jeff Bipes, and someone else tried very hard to make it work. One of the pinouts on the DB25 is for muting the radio when it senses current going to your phone. If you have your phone being powered by the car through the DB25, I would think when you got a call, it would sense change in power to the phone, and then would mute the radio.

I have had several cell phones in my TT and always use the mic that comes with the kit. I now have the tmobile 7100t with BT. I have changed my head unit to an Alpine IVA D901 and it also has a mute function. Once I get through some other coordination issues with the Alpine and its peripherals, I will work on the phone thing.

I have an armrest in my TT and I plan to make a custom holder that my phone will slip into and fit between the two supports for the armrest (horizontal section). This way the phone will get charged, but also work with mute function (I hope) with my Alpine system.