Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hey all...i have some Qs about further upgrades...(any random advice appreciated)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2000, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey all...i have some Qs about further upgrades...(any random advice appreciated)

So, I have my 1.8t for another couple months before my s4 arrives and I do a trade-in (at which point I'll do the bend over, grab the heels act for the dealer). I wont have alot of money to spend on stereo mods, as i am already tight for cash, but will be more so (obviously) when i slide into the S. In the 1.8t right now I have two JL IB4 ten inch subs (free-air)...but I kinda want something less boominess, and more tightness and hard-hitting. Anyway to do that wihout completely new subs? What about enclosures? (I know they use the trunk as the enclosure, but how would they work in a real enclosure, something like a stealthbox, but nicer...probably using those nice enclosures that a link was posted to a week or two ago...I forget the name). At the same time, I am starting to think about some speaker upgrades. MB Quart are recommended by the local (very good) installer...any other favorites to look at?
Thanks very much for any info/opinions....
Old 09-01-2000, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some A's...

I can't help you too much with your 10IB4s, but I have a 10W3D2 in a small sealed box and it is pretty tight. There is some boominess, but that is more due to the fact that the air travels through the holes left in the deck by the removal of the stock rear speakers. For tight bass, generally you want a small sealed box. In terms of speakers, your installer is spot on. MB Quart Reference series is the way to go. I have them and they're fantastic. They even make an adapter to put 5.25 woofers in the front doors. Hope this helps.<p>99.5 A4 1.8TQMS APR Stage 1