Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about 6.5" subs in the deck of an A4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2001, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about 6.5" subs in the deck of an A4?

First let me say I'm far from knowledgeable about car audio.

Is it foolishness to put 6.5" subs in the rear deck of my A4? I realize that small of a sub is far from ideal but would the trunk enclosure be tight enough of a space to make it better than not having a sub at all?

My problem is I use my car for my job and 4 out of five days I need the entire space of the trunk.

I am going to put 5.25" MBQuarts up front with a 2 channel amp I already own and I also have a dedicated sub amp just lying around as well.

My thoughts are since I already have the sub amp and I can not put a sub in the trunk would it be worth my while to get a pair a 6.5" subs for the deck? I realize there is the option of the JL stealth box but would rather not spend that kind of cash for subs.

Thanks for any and all help and be kind if you think I am an idiot.
Old 01-26-2001, 02:08 PM

Default No one here thinks you are an idiot...

This is one of the best places in the world to learn, because you can get the advice from anyone, anywhere.

Basically, there isn't really such a thing as a 6.5" sub. 6.5's are considered "midbass". I really don't think you would see much benefit at all from putting a set of 6.5's in your rear deck.

I think the stealthbox is definently your best option, but what exactly are you carrying in your trunk? You could also try to put 8"'s in there, but that is basically what the stealthbox is doing. Honestly, don't go the 6.5 route, you are flushing money down the drain. Save up and get the stealthbox, or pay an installer to build you something similar (though that will most likely cost more). Where are you going to put your amps?
Old 01-26-2001, 02:28 PM

Default thanks for the insight

I did'nt think 6.5 would do the trick but when I got a Panasonic catalog from a dealer (to show him the cd changer I need) they list 6.5" subs so that was the genesis of my thought process.

I thought I could put the amps under the rear deck as I only basically use the trunk floor for my work. If I do end up going the stealthbox route then amp placement will be another concern. Basically I guess I need to upgrade the front speaker set up then see if I think it neccessary to get a sub.

I am in medical sales and the way I have my trunk set up for work purposes requires just about evey bit of trunk floor space for work materials. I even use the back seats every so often for space as well.

Thanks for you time and help.
Old 01-26-2001, 03:30 PM

Default No problem. Don't forget about

the spare tire well and the side cubbies. I assume you got a changer, so one is already taken, but I believe at least one person has gotten a sub grafted into the right side cubby quite nicely. I think you're best bet is to go talk to an installer. If you're in the NY capital region I can recommend one. A lot of installers are really good problem solvers, and can devise numerous solutions to a given situation.
Old 01-30-2001, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The Stealthbox eats up a lot of height in the trunk.

If you are carrying boxes around for work, then they might not fit underneath the Stealthbox. I cannot even carry two pieces of luggage.

I am seriously considering selling my Stealthbox and getting a 10" sub in a .7cu' sealed enclosure.

If your sales materials are not too tall, then you would be fine with the Stealthbox, because you still have the entire floorspace in the trunk.

-- Peter