Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to do audio out from aftermarket GPS to Symphony head unit with auto mute

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to do audio out from aftermarket GPS to Symphony head unit with auto mute

Here's what I'd like to do...

I have a Symphony I head unit with the IceLink iPod solution attached to the external CD changer port. I recently bought a Garmin nuvi GPS unit and would like to connect the audio out from it to the Symphony so that I get auto muting of the radio -- just like I would if I was hooking up a bluetooth phone solution.

The nuvi has a standard audio out jack but I don't know how to have it produce a grounding signal that I can connect to the grounding pin on the head unit. Also, I'm not sure how I'd wire the audio out into the Audi OEM Bose/Symphony sound system I have. Ideally, I'd like to have the audio output from the GPS unit wired to the speaker that is near the driver in the B-pillar (where an integrated speaker phone would connect).

Any ideas how I'd pull this off? I'm guessing I'd need some sort of switching device that would detect an audio out signal from the GPS (i.e., when the voice is speaking) and produce a grounding signal. Anybody know of such a device? Then, where/how would I wire things?

Paging TeddyBGame!... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts from the forum.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:50 PM

Default I think you need a remote-turn-on signal-sensing widget...

...IF it will trigger off of low enough of a voltage.

Peripheral, PAC, DEI, etc... I think you want one that is adjustable. The PAC TR7 probably would work.

Those send 12V(+) output, so if you DO need a (-), you need to invert it.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts
Default The Symphony has a navi audio in with mute on ground

Check the sticker your Symphpony, it's in the 10 pin connector. All you need is some black box that gives you the ground signal to mute.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Just thinking laterally a bit. Does the phone's BT kit have a line in? Or can one be "hacked" in?

People in this forum have been hacking into the CD line forever so why not a BT kit?
Old 03-03-2007, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What phone?

I do not have a phone kit in the mix -- if I did it would probably have a mute line and I would not be dealing with the challenge I'm facing.

Thanks for the thinking, but I'm not sure you read my original post correctly.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Doh! You mentioned just like a BT kit, and my mind went off on a tangent thereafter.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default youre on the right track... as said already you need a signal sensing relay...

check with soundgate they used to have the gizmo for this. It's basically just a smart relay that senses when audio signals hit it then you can have the other terminals connect the telco mute to ground when it senses signal. You can then run the audio out of your garmin to the mono audio in on the telco input of the symphony.

I did this exact thing on my sym II and garmin 2620 unit. I did find the mute too intrusive and disconnected it. I have an RNSE these days so that's not an issue for me now.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Tell me more...

You say that you found the mute "too intrusive"...

Why? Isn't this just what the OEM nav does? If so, how is the solution we're knocking around any more intrusive?

TIA.