Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many Sq. Ft. of Dynamat Xtreme Needed For B6? (Areas I want to cover inside)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. How well did the RaamMat and Ensolite reduce road noise?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Road noise wasn't really a concern of mine so I didn't bother to pay attention to the difference.

Since I only did the doors and trunk lid, it probably woulnd't have made much a difference. Most road noise will come from the floor or from the wheel wells. There are other products out there that are made specifically for the floor which may be a better choice if that's your goal.

Check out the Cascade Audio products for something specific to that application. I believe they have some multi-layered foam based products that specifically address road noise.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've got Xtreme under my hood, no problems in 18 months
Old 04-25-2007, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks. Is it easy to get deadener in behind the door, or do you have to remove the regulator,etc?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sound deadening

Weight: 36 sq ft of Dynamat Xtreme weighs about 17 pounds. (Dynamat Xtreme spec sheet: http://dynamat.com/download/specs/2204_Spec_Sheet_Dynamat_Xtreme.pdf)
That's more than acceptable to me.

Installation on underside of hood: I've had Dynamat Xtreme on the underside of my 5000 turbo quattro hood for about a year, in the hot south Florida climate. After installing the Dynamat Xtreme (and filling hood reinforcing channels with Great Stuff foam), I reinstalled the factory insulation mat, so the Dynamat Xtreme is shielded from direct engine heat. No sign of loosening. (See Sound Deadener Showdown for temperature tests of various sound deadening mats.) At least one vendor supplies an underhood mat that's specifically designed for the application.

Start with the door skins -- you'll see greatest results there.

I used about 80 square feet of Dynamat Xtreme and estimate that the total additional weight, including Great Stuff foam in hood and trunk lid, and closed cell foam sheet glued over top some of the Dynamat Xtreme, is about fifty pounds. I'm happy with the comfort vs performance trade off: the car's much comfier now.

If I were to do it again, I'd first consider substituting Second Skin's Damplifier Pro.

I bought Dynamat Xtreme bulk pack (list abt $250!) from a NY based eBay seller, for about $111 with shipping to my doorstep.

A good, relatively noncommercial automotive sound deadening forum: http://www.secondskinaudio.com/forums/index.php<ul><li><a href="http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/">http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 04-25-2007, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Have you considered changing to quieter tires?

Tire noise varies dramatically from brand to brand and model to model.

I was surprised by just how much quieter my 5000 turbo quattro is with a set of 205/16-55 Michelin Harmony tires. Much smoother and quieter than Goodyears or Kumhos.<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?additionalComments=y&amp;tireMa ke=Michelin&amp;tireModel=Harmony&amp;tirePageLocQ ty=&amp;commentStatus=P">Michelin Harmony customer reviews</a></li></ul>
Old 04-25-2007, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just stuck my hand in there.

Obviously you won't be able to cover the entire surface but I was able to get majority coverage just by strategically cutting and manuvering around stuff.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Perfect. Thanks again.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:03 PM

But you do a lot of things I wouldn't do... or the manufacturer, for that matter.

Quick Reply: How many Sq. Ft. of Dynamat Xtreme Needed For B6? (Areas I want to cover inside)