Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need audiophile help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need audiophile help...

I just ordered an A4 and want to start setting up my stereo upgrades for when it arrives. What I want to do is just a simple add-on to the stock stereo system. I will add components up front with either one or two subs in the trunk, all running off of one 4 channel amp. The rear door speakers I will just leave running off of the stock setup.

What I need to know first of all is if one 12" sub will be sufficient for a good range of bass or will 2 10" subs do a better job? If neither what do you suggest?

Second, what components are a good set for around $150-$200??

Third, recommended subs for around The same range?
are Memphis Audio subs any good?

Fourth, are rockford fosgate amps worth a look?

Fifth, should I just disconnect the rear deck speakers or will the be fine back there running on the stock amp?

Sixth, (almost done) will I need a capacitor for this proposed setup?
Old 03-31-2002, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 12 bridged off 2 channels...JL XR components can be had cheap off the web

And bang for the buck...MTX amp, being as I have a 2 seater now..I cant comment on the rear fills...and you shouldnt need a cap.
There are many other members who can give betteradvice on the a4 than I with a lowly TT...
I am sure they set you on the right path to sonic nirvana...
Marcus
Old 04-01-2002, 06:36 PM

Default Re: I need audiophile help...

First, I'm a big fan of 10" subs. 12 inchers often have the same size basket and magnet of a 10". If you compare a 10" and a 12", you'll get slightly lower bass with the 12", but the 10" will have better transient response and therefore sound 'tighter'. Get a pair of good 10" subs, preferably at 8 ohms each. Put them in parallel to get 4 ohms, which is a good compromise between sound quality and decibels.

Second, I'd suggest looking into Polk, MB Quart, and Boston Acoustics. I like MB Quart, but the good ones are bloody expensive. BA sounds a little too 'bright' for me. I'm using Polk Reference 4" components in the front and 5.25" coaxs in the rear.

Third, for the subs, one little-known gem is a brand called Decware. They're hand-made 10" subs from the motor assemblies and baskets of 18" subs. Plus, they're not too expensive!
http://www.decware.com/dhm108c.htm

Fourth, Rockford Fosgate is not recommended by many audio nuts. They're powerful, cheap, and mass-produced. They also don't have a sound that I like. I use amps by PPI, JL, and Soundstream. Good bang for the buck without sacrificing quality.

Fifth, you can leave the rear deck speakers as long as you don't have a sub. When you get a sub, they're going to self-resonate because of the bass frequencies. Basically, they become resonators. This will sound like complete crap.

Finally, a good rule is 1/2 Farad per 500 watts of amplifier power. Since you're probably going to want some decent power handling and upgradability, you'll want a 1F cap. They aren't much more expensive than a 1/2F cap anyways.

if anyone needs any info, email me<ul><li><a href="http://www.decware.com/dhm108c.htm">Decware</a></li></ul>
Old 04-01-2002, 07:02 PM

Default My advice for the A4

First off, I have a competition level stereo in an A4. Bang for the buck, you still can't beat JL Audio. 1 12 inch dual voice coil sub can be installed in such a way to retain access to spare tire, and still fit plenty of luggage for the trips. A sealed resin box into the left rear quarter panel inside the trunk (sealed to 1.10 cubed feet) with rock. 2 10's = too much space. Plus, the rear seat is so well insulated, tens won't push low frequencies through without alot of pure power ($$$$). Next, Orion recently purchased ADS, a manufacturer of some of the finest splits. Orion has since, of course, switched all of their 4", 5", and 6" + tweeter splits to the ADS design. Check them out for bang for the buck. Amps are the most critical decision when talking about sound quality. This is where you want to invest your money. Extant, JL Audio, Soundstream,and Pheonix Gold are my top picks. Pair up you power needs to your speaker selections carefully and always switch your factory battery to an Optima, and add a cap, unless you like seeing your headlights dim every time the bass hits.

Hope this helps some!
Old 04-02-2002, 11:32 AM

Default Rear deck follow up

Regarding you comment on rear deck speakers; if one were to isolate the deck/speakers from the rest of the trunk via some sort of sealed plate/box, would this still be true, or do you think they would sound OK?
Old 04-02-2002, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Rear deck follow up

If you made a 'cup' of some kind that isolated the back of the speaker from the trunk, you'd be ok. The problem with this is that you're effectively making a sealed speaker box that the deck speaker fits in. You can't just make it any size, unfortunately... you may find that it's too big for your taste.

The best way I've heard about is to take the existing mounting ring (or make one if need be) and make a fiberglass dome on the back of it. Make sure it's got enough internal volume after you put the speaker in! When you mount these, they'll sounds really good.

One problem that you'll run into in any case is the lack of 'breathing' gaps from the trunk. Since the trunk is so well isolated from the cabin, those deck speaker holes are particularly valuable. They have a grill right above them! After all is said and done, I still say to put the rear speakers in the doors. Or, if you don't really care about your rear passengers that much, skip 'em alltogether
Old 04-02-2002, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the food for thought