Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I noticed a lot of people mentioning the 'bad signal' from a stock head unit's RCA outs.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2001, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I noticed a lot of people mentioning the 'bad signal' from a stock head unit's RCA outs.......

Have any of you actually tested one? I'm curious to know what its output voltage is, and specs like s/n ratio, freq response, THD%, how much output you can squeeze from it before the onset of clipping and so on. Has anyone here ever checked it out with an oscilloscope for clipping info? It would seem that if there is a clean signal coming from it, which is probably the case, you could easily remedy too little output voltage with a line driver.
Old 02-08-2001, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Haven't personally tested, but...

I did read an article discussing this. It actually listed a bunch of OEM head units and their outputs. Fortunately Audi's units were covered. I'll see if I can scrounge up the article again. I listed all the detailed info. I was quite surprised out how bad just about all OEM units were.

For example, I seem to recall one manufactures OEM unit speaker outputs being rated up to 10watts/channel RMS, but at that level it was getting 16% THD! This was actually typically of most of the OEM units in the chart. I don't think the chart covered line-level outs, though, as many OEM units didn't have them.
-joe