Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to redo my whole stereo. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2001, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I want to redo my whole stereo. Suggestions?

My car stereo is currently:
Concert headunit with OEM CD changer
Blau harness adapter to RCAs
Phoenix Gold 75x4 amp
Focal 130K front speakers mounted in stock locations (using MBQ adapters)
JL Stealthbox

Right off the bat, my stereo system is BRIGHT !
The easy solution would be to simply switch the tweeters to -4. (Currently they are set to -2)

But if I am going to open up the door panels to adjust the xovers, I want to do more...
I want my xovers mounted in the trunk, like MarkP has in his car. I'd also like my tweeters mounted in a coaxial setup. I know that BostonPro makes coax adapter brackets for their component speakers. Not sure if the brackets will work with my Focals.
But I have to do something with those tweeters.
They're smooth, but too bright in their current setup.

Other thing I notice is that I don't like the bass. Maybe the PG xover is not set to operate the Stealthbox properly. I dunno.
But listening to my car, it sounds like the box is not sealed. (Yes I know it's an IB setup -- but it sounds like there is a lot of leakage between the front and rear waves.)

Third, I think I want rear speakers again.

So here's my plan...
I think I want to sell the Stealthbox.
(I think the leatherette seals the trunk better than the cloth. Because I've heard the Stealthbox sound REALLY good. Or maybe it was because Keith Owes has an XTant amp, which blows away my PG amp.)

Ideally I'd like the front speakers mounted in a coaxial setup.
Then I'd like to replace the Stealthbox with an Alpine or IDQ 10" sub in a sealed enclosure.

I was thinking of NOT reinstalling speakers in the rear deck,so that the bass can vent into the cabin through those speaker holes. (I do not want to remove the ski sack.)

Then I was thinking of getting Focal coaxial speakers to mount in the rear doors, and getting the grilles from Clair.

Now if I get another pair of speakers, I would need a mono amp to drive the sub, and I'd use the PG 4 channel amp for the front & rear speakers.
Or I'd sell the amp, and replace it with a 5 channel amp.

If my front Focals cannot be mounted in a coax setup, I was thinking of selling them, and replacing them with Boston Pro speakers, which CAN be mounted as coax speakers.

Anyone have any ideas they can add?
Ways to improve sound? Ways to save money?

Thanks,
Peter
98.5 1.8tqms
Old 02-09-2001, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Try a good EQ....

I used Boston Pro 6.5's in my last system. They are great speakers but the tweeters were bright.

Using a Audio Control EQ and reducing 16khz by about 6-8 DB and reducing 8khz by about 3DB the sound greatly improved.

NO MORE BRIGHTNESS, very smooth open highs.

Find a Audio Control dealer and have him pop in the EQ and see if this makes things better.

A fairly cheap solution of under $300.