Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If your speakers aren't "controlled" properly, whose fault is it most likely? HU's, amp's, sth else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If your speakers aren't "controlled" properly, whose fault is it most likely? HU's, amp's, sth else?

I've come to the conclusion that especially when I turn the volume above a certain point, it seems that my front components (I don't have any rears anyway) don't sound right. More specifically, it sounds like they are not properly controlled (don't know if that's from the amp or the HU) and generally don't co-operate well with the rest of the sound system. The sub sounds ok, but the speakers don't sound clearly and I think that they're a bit delayed in sound, like they don't play exactly when they should (thus not co-operating with the system as they should). And I highly doubt it's the speakers' fault, they don't look like they're not able to handle the power they get.

The speakers are Focal K2 Power 165K. The sub is an MTX 12" 4500 Thunder. The HU (which I'm still not convinced of its high end capabilities) is a Becker 7887 MP3. It works with an adapter cause it doesn't fully support RCA exits (could this be the reason?). I think it delivers like 32 Watts itself. The amp (which is my weak point) is an SPL Dynamics 5ch. one. It's supposed to be powerful (4x75 + 1x180 RMS @ 4 Ohm), but I guess not of high quality (judging by the price I bought it at). So, do you think that the most possible reason for this malfunction has to be the amp, the HU or something else?

I've written about my audio setup and the problems I've encountered with it before, and it looks like it would be better to build a new one from scratch, but that would be very costly. Next time I'll know. So I'm just trying to spot the problem so as to rectify it.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:48 AM

Default this is what i would do...long

first check your wiring especially phasing to the focals (make sure that all of the +'s and all of the -'s are connected respectively i know you already checked but check again
next make sure your high pass crossover in the amp is switched on for the focal speaker output. check gains on the amp they should be adjusted so that at top volume on the hu the speakers don't distort. sometimes this this adjustment is easier to do with a small home bookshelf speaker connected to your amp instead of your door speaker, that way you disregard install problems within your car.
third how is the install for the door speakers? the speaker needs to fit exactly to the door, any open spaces should be sealed and the speaker should be fit firmly in place.
still doesn't sound good? start replacing
Old 01-10-2005, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default To rule out the amp try running the Focals direct off the HU

to see if you still have the problem. Then based on the result you can shop around for a replacement HU or amp. Alpine do some good 5 channel amps, although sounds like you only need 3 channel if you've got no rears. Check on ebay. You can get the old style V12 Alpines for around $150 (MRV-F407 etc) and they last forever.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks a lot, lots of things to check!

I'll try to check as many of the above as I can, probably with a little help of a friend of mine who's more of an expert. To be honest, I don't want to approach the installer again (who's a pro anyway), I'm really not sure of all of them and their motives. I doubt most of them "really" wanna help you out instead of confusing you even more and trying to convince you to pay more...

Anyway, as for the speakers I'm pretty sure they have a tight fit. I also forgot to mention, there was Dynamat applied to the whole door.

A friend suggested that maybe I should get an "active crossover". Do you know exactly what that is and if I could benefit from it?

Thanks for all the info, I'll check on those and get back to you
Old 01-10-2005, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yep, true, I'm running the current one bridged (3 ch.).

ebay is a good thought, but first I'll have to make sure that the amp really needs to be replaced. Thanks a lot, I'll let you know how it goes.