Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm sick of getting lost! Time for GPS!!! (PLEASE HELP ME!!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm sick of getting lost! Time for GPS!!! (PLEASE HELP ME!!)

I have an ipaq 3970(It has bluetooth). I am going to be running an audio input for my ipod shortly. I need GPS in my 01 S4. I am considering all options. My goal is to not get lost, have great audio directions, fairly easy config, A map would be a plus. I'm kind of wishing i got the option from the factory back when i ordered my car.

I don't have to use the ipaq but I'm thinking its the cheapest way to awesome GPS functionality. I will not remove the stock headunit(to install aftermarket) but I am aware of the Euro-Nav Mod, and am kind of considering it.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:59 PM

Default Re: I'm sick of getting lost! Time for GPS!!! (PLEASE HELP ME!!)

I just got a new S4, and I'm glad I didn't get the nav because it doesn't show you any maps. I desparately need nav, too, but I like the stock stereo (in-dash cd changer and XM).

So, there's a couple of ideas for you. You could move the hazard button over and have a post installed in it's place throught the dash and have an lcd mounted there. Alpine, Kenwood, and Pioneer make excellent navigation systems and lcds for this purpose.

The other option would be much more difficult (or expensive), but would give you the cleanest look. You could potentially remove the ashtray, lower the AC controls to a 45 degree angle, lower the stereo, and leave yourself a single din spot at the top of your console. Then, you could install a motorized lcd for your navigation system.

Either way, you have 3 main products to choose from. Alpine makes the most comprehensive mapping software for nav, but it doesn't have a touchscreen or voice activation (but it does have voice guidance of course). Kenwood and Pioneer make very good systems as well, and they have touchscreen and voice activation. The nice thing about all of these is that you can add DVD video, a backup camera, dual zone audio for the front and back passengers, whatever.

Any of these options will work well for you. I would check them out before committing to your iPAQ. I used mine extensively for nav for two years. It was more work than it was worth. The maps lacked detail and proper depth of zoom, the screen was too small and had no antiglare, the software was too slow, and there was not logic correction (it would show me driving 30 yards away parallel to the road I was supposed to be on). Unless the software has come a really long way, I'd get a good DVD based system that you can take with you to your next vehicle.

Good Luck.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I'm sick of getting lost! Time for GPS!!! (PLEASE HELP ME!!)

i agree, aftermarket dvd navi is much better than stock. i like the kenwood personally.

so you can actually move the hazard light switch?
Old 12-09-2003, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was hoping to not touch the stock clusters.

I guess if i was going to spend that money i could do a euro-nav but its so much money for cd-based nav.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

p.s did we meet briefly when i did my "drive by" at playmakers?