Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improving Audio in Bose C6 A6

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improving Audio in Bose C6 A6

What can be done (if anything) to improve the sound in my C6 A6 Avant? I've never been impressed with Bose sound quality and since everything's controlled thru the MMI I have no idea what my options might be.

Ideally, I would just change out the speakers but I'm not sure if that's an option either.

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2006, 10:13 AM

Default (long reply)

For the last few years, the Audi indash HU has been connected to the amplifier (bose or non-Bose) with copper wires carrying an analog audio signal.

The C6, and all future Audis, I expect, have their entertainment component modules connected to each other with an optical cable carrying a digital signa, with audio, control signals, and even video possible. (It's not "digital audio" like in your home theatre system).

This system allows much future upgrading, it saves weight, but it screws up what we've been able to do for years with Audi HUs and RCA outputs.

So the indash sends digital audio and digital control data to the amp. The amp has crossovers in it, and equalization, and bandpass outputs with only specifc notes for each speaker. This crossover filtering and equalization and processing really does need to be reversed for better hi-fi sound.

You need to "knit" these channels back together into a full signal, and then de-equalize the signal, before you re-amplify it.

There are a couple of ways to do this now.

One is an Audio Control LC8 and a JL Audio Clean Sweep.

The other is a Rockford 360.1 or .2, if they have enough inputs. They have some internal summing ability without the A/C piece.

There are some reasons the 360.1 or 2 might be better from an audio POV. I haven't eval;uated them side-by-side.

But either the JL or RF solutions would probably work.

This just gets you back to square one - as if you had an older Audi HU (unless you get the 360.2, which also allows comprehensive system tuning).

You still need a system architecture after this.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:23 AM

Default So if I understand correctly,

the JL or Rockford units would provide a clean, unequalized signal that could be sent to an amp and from there to new speakers?
Old 09-19-2006, 05:15 PM

Yes, that is correct. I know another C6 upgrader let me see if he will visit this thread
Old 09-19-2006, 06:07 PM

Default Re: So if I understand correctly,

With Avincar's help, I just completed a complex upgrade to my A6 (same as C6). I used the 3sixty because it had greater input and summing capabilities than the Cleansweep.

Because the MMI system is all digital, the only easy way to get an analog signal is to pull it off the Bose power amp. The problem is that Bose separates the sound into 7 channels, and you presumably want a simple 2 or 4 channel full range singal. So you need to put several channels together ("summing") to get a full range singal.

I decided to leave the rear channels attached to the Bose, so that simplified the installation considerably. But that still left 5 channels to sum in order to generate one stereo full range signal: left tweeter, left woofer, right tweeter, right woofer, and center channel. (There are actually 3 speakers in each door, but they are fed by 2 channels per side). The 3sixty handled all of that summing beautifully. I fed the woofer signals into the front inputs, the tweeter signals into the rear inputs, and the center channel into both the sub and center inputs on the 3sixty. The 3sixty took all that and recombined it into one stereo and subwoofer channel. (The Cleansweep only has four inputs and no internal summing, so it was a less attractive solution).

I then ran the output of the 3sixty into a power amp, and installed new speakers in the doors and a subwoofer box in the back of the cargo area (I have the wagon). I disconnected the center speaker altogether. (It is a total piece of garbage, and is very difficult to get to).

Once everything is attached, the 3sixty runs an OEM integration routine during which it:
a) equalizes the levels of all inputs

b) creates a full range signal for any channel that does not carry a full range by summing the other channels on that side (left or right) and

c) eliminates the equalization built into the Bose amp.

The manufacturers make a big deal out of the last function, but I think most of the equalization is there to deal with car's accoustics. I actually ended up requalizing the singal similar to the way the Bose was equalizing it.

The bottom line is that I am very happy with the outcome. The sound routed through the Bose system sounds just as good as the sound from the auxiliary input (which bypasses the MMI and Bose altogether). All of the MMI integration works though the Bose ouput; Nav and phone both come through the new speakers, and all the controls work.

The 3sixty made it relatively cheap to "get back to square one." I picked one up for around $200, and it added a $150 or so to my installation cost. The whole upgrade, including Dynaudio speakers, JL Sub, and 1000w Zapco amp with built-in equalizer ran me around $2800 with installation. I think it sounds pretty close to a high end home system and is a huge improvement over the Bose.