Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Basslink this weekend - loud humming/bass noise when I turn the radio off..

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Basslink this weekend - loud humming/bass noise when I turn the radio off..

...I ran the wire from the battery, and I tapped into my rear speakers. I DID NOT install the remote turn on wire. I would like to know if there is a way to fix this issue.

Is there more than one way to fix this issue? It's getting pretty annoying already. Any help, of course, is always appreciated.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Installed Basslink this weekend - loud humming/bass noise when I turn the radio off..

Are you using it with the OEM head unit?
If you didn't tap into the remote turn on wire, how do you turn it off?
What Audi do you have?
The noise you describe is probably due to you using hi level speaker inputs rather than lo level RCA pre-outs. Even though the Basslink has speaker inputs I wouldn't recommend using them as they are often the cause of noise and interference. You have lo level preouts running to the back of most Audis to feed the amp theat powers the rear speakers. On the same loom you also have a remote on lead, which will turn the unit on when the radio is switched on.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Installed Basslink this weekend - loud humming/bass noise when I turn the radio off..

I have a 99.5 A4 1.8T with the Concert headunit. I tapped into the rear deck speakers. Is there a remote turn on lead running from the mini-amp on the drive side rear speaker that I can tap into? How about installing some of the mini-capacitors that came with the unit?

I would like it to turn off with the radio. Where is this remote turn on wire? What color is it?

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I used that same bolt...on the drivers side. It's after I turn the radio off when I get the noise..

..I think the sub is still getting power but no information from audio signal that is causing the problem. Where is the wire to tap into the remote turn on lead at? Will that work?
Old 06-28-2004, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default There's a tech article on this in the electrical section

The brackets represent the slots that slid into the male harness end. The side with the outward piece is the piece I chose as the "top".

________[ ]________
(1) (2)
(3)
(4) (5)
(6)
(7) (8)
________[ ]________

1: White- Switch
2: Red-Blue lead to Right speaker
3: Brown-Red lead Right speaker
4: Red-Blue (thicker): 12v
5: Blue-Green Right pre-amp from head unit. I am assuming they are pre-amps as I got a voltage reading of about 1v with the volume full blast. It was just enough to just barely run the speakers or the pc-speaker at full blast as well.
6: Red-Green Left pre-amp from head unit
7: Brown (thicker) Ground
8: 2 Brown-black Grounds for pre-amp leads
Old 06-29-2004, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Figure out the remote turn on wire...

I tried to use the 'voltage sensing' switch on my JL 500/1 amp. I got a lot of weird noise and pops ot of my sub when I'd turn off the stereo.

I guess there's just odd transient noise running through the wires when the radio is off. I'm not sure. Anytrate, I wired the remote power, and it solved all the problems.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:31 AM

I have Basslink and I have no issue...