Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's time....

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's time....

The time has finally arrived to replace the stereo system in my 1990 Audi Quattro V8. The system cuts out when I adjust the volume. I have always got static on the AM dial <yes talk radio rules>. The tape deck eats my old Genesis and Grateful Dead cassettes. And the left rear speaker has been unplugged for a long time. Besides, how can one not have a CD player in such a car. So yes the time has come to rip out the Bose and replace it with a new indash system. Here is where i can use some help. Do I need to replace all the speakers? Obviously the back two must go. But what about the ones in the door. Will they work with the new system? Next if some one can give me some sound advise on some excellent speakers that are clear / crisp yet don't cost thousands I would like to hear your opinion. And mention your opinion on the system as well. I'm not interested in CD stackers just a nice quality in-dash. I look forward to your advice and happy Audi drive to you all :+>

Pete the 90 Quattro V8 owner in Cincinnati Ohio
Old 07-06-2002, 11:21 AM

Default What I'd do if on a tight budget

Since you aren't seeking a competition-ready, audiophile system, I'll assume that your working budget is under $1k. This should cover the cost of a CD in-dash headunit, 2-channel amplifier, and quality 2-way component speaker set. First off, unless you frequently have passengers in the rear and want them to enjoy the stereo system as well, there is less of a need to replace the rear speakers. In fact, some competition-winning SQ (sound-quality) systems only have front stage speakers, since most of the sound for the driver comes from these speakers.

Things you should look for in a quality CD headunit are 2v or higher preout voltage, high signal-to-noise ratio, low distortion, AM radio sensitivity (since you like talk radio), and features that you want to have (i.e. random, repeat, etc). My recommendation for budget headunit would be a 2001 Clarion DXZ-715 (under $200 at online shops).

My pick for a budget 2-channel amplifier would be the HiFonics Z400 (100watts x 2 channels), about $200.

Lastly, although speaker preference is merely preference, my favorite mid-level component speakers (under $300) are: a/d/s 2-series ($220), Infinity Kappa ($220), MB Quart DSD ($180), Focal Polyglass ($200), and DEI Studio ($180).

That brings the total bill so far to about $600. However, you will need to spend another $50-100 on wiring accessories and a dash kit. This leaves $300 or so for the installation cost. So, for under $1k, you'll have a VERY decent stereo that will sound night-and-day better than the OEM stereo.
Old 07-07-2002, 03:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: What I'd do if on a tight budget

Thanks for the suggestions. Yea I went to Cruchfield.com to look at some possibilities for in-dash units and speakers. When I pulled up my particular car make they only had listed the front speakers and not the rest. This surprised me that the specs for the rear and door speakers wasn't listed but maybe they are going off the same logic as you are. Anyway, I am open for more input; quite possibly the sizes of the other speakers and somewhat importantly how to get to the speakers in the dashboard.
Old 07-07-2002, 03:43 PM

Default Re: What I'd do if on a tight budget

Clarions are good HUs, but also check out Alpine & Pioneer, as they also make great quality HUs, but may cost more.

I've heard good things about Focal &amp; MB Quart components, and they are often recommended at <a href="http://www.caraudioforum.com">CAF</a>. And for an amp to those I would recommend a Cadence (www.cadencesound.com) amp...maybe a Q2000 or Q3000, which cost $95 and $130, respectively, at shop4sound.com.

Are you interested in putting a subwoofer in the back? That would make the system sound even better.

Now, question from me: Who sells quality dash kits for Audi's? All I've heard about is www.legend5.com ... does anyone just sell a piece to replace the Audi Symphony area so that a single DIN HU would fit?