Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Jam Traffic assist with ACC speed limit

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Jam Traffic assist with ACC speed limit

Hello everyone. I am new to this form and have a question for you. I recently purchased a Prestige package SQ5, and the traffic jam assist is controlled to speed no more than 40 mph. Is there any coding for this solution so the limit can be raised to 60-70 mph. I really appreciate any recommendation or solution. Thank you
Nick
Old 07-22-2022, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I just got a little more info on what I need. I am looking for long coding for VCDS on the Traffic jam assist and lane departure. Want to raise the speed limit that disables the system at 40 mph. I would like to increase the limit to 60-70 mph
Old 07-22-2022, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

As far as I know that's by design and can't be increased. As the name suggests, it's a traffic jam assist, not active steering assist at higher speeds. It's a matter of processing power and sensors. Higher speed active steering requires more processing power and better sensors, particularly stereo cameras for depth perception. The SQ5 has a single forward looking camera as far as I know, which is enough for lane keeping, but not full active steering at higher speeds. TJA reverts to lane keep assist above 40 mph (actually 37 mph to be exact). It still somewhat keeps the car centered if set to "Early" in the settings, but it will only follow the lane markers. Below 40 mph TJA takes other cars into consideration using the parking sensors as an additional help. At higher speeds the parking sensors are not a viable input, so the system would need stereo cameras so it can view in 3D and not just 2D. My Mercedes-AMG has active steering assist that works up to something like 120 mph. It has stereo cameras in the windshield that makes this possible.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-22-2022 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-23-2022, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That's a good point; however, I think the parking sensors are not the source for steering, at least in this case. For example, if I don't have a vehicle left or right, it still centers into the middle of the lane; I want to enable such a situation at 60 mph or more. I believe that lane assist has to be modified to some extent. When I am using ACC, lane assist works normally up to 100+, but the lane keep is not centering the vehicle to the middle of the lane. Instead allows the tire almost touch the painted line and then corrects. I believe this is more Audi perk than anything else because VW (I was selling these cars) has this system running at higher speeds with only one camera. Hopefully, somebody will chip in that knows that answer but thanks for your view.
Old 07-23-2022, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NLP2022
That's a good point; however, I think the parking sensors are not the source for steering, at least in this case. For example, if I don't have a vehicle left or right, it still centers into the middle of the lane; I want to enable such a situation at 60 mph or more. I believe that lane assist has to be modified to some extent. When I am using ACC, lane assist works normally up to 100+, but the lane keep is not centering the vehicle to the middle of the lane. Instead allows the tire almost touch the painted line and then corrects. I believe this is more Audi perk than anything else because VW (I was selling these cars) has this system running at higher speeds with only one camera. Hopefully, somebody will chip in that knows that answer but thanks for your view.
I don't think you are actually aware of what TJA does and how it differs from LKA. In a traffic jam its not sufficient nor safe to just keep the car centered in its lane. If another car moves into your lane, TJA evades it, because it doesn't just read the lane markers, but is also aware of adjacent cars and the distance to them. That's where the parking sensors come in. TJA actually rather keeps the car centered between the cars on your left and the cars on your right and only falls back to lane markers if there are no cars. You may have noticed that if the car next to you swerves, TJA follows that swerve to some extent to keep a safe distance. It's a very different objective.

This is also how systems like Mercedes' Active Steering Assist or Tesla Autopilot differ. They don't just blindly follow the lane markers and keep the car centered in the lane. Instead they use multiple cameras and other sensors to be aware of their surroundings and obstacles on the road such as other cars. They don't just steer the car in its lane, but also away from those other obstacles. In fact these systems still work even if there are no lane markers as long as there are other cars it can follow. I've used mine on several occasions on stretches of road w/o lane markers or very fade lane markers where Audi's system just gives up. The Mercedes system simply follows the flow of traffic in those situations. There's a fundamental difference here.

As I said, TJA doesn't work at higher speeds because it would need better and more cameras to monitor the situation on the road and enough computing power to update its model at higher speeds. As far as bouncing left and right goes with Audi's LKA that's a common complaint. However, LKA has three modes that you can adjust in the MMI. You can set it to Early, Medium or Late. Yours is likely set to Late. Change it to Early and it should keep it more centered. On newer models with MIB3 there's a whole new way to configure the assistance systems. You can choose between Maximum Assistance, Minimum Assistance or Individual. I actually just came back from Europe where I drove a new C8 A6 rental with the full driving assistance systems. I had it set to Maximum Assistance and LKA did a fairly good job at steering the car in its lane, but as soon as it couldn't see the lane markers it freaked out. I did a similar trip three years ago with my C63 when I did European Delivery and the MB Active Steering Assist worked much better, but still Audi's LKA configured properly does an ok job, you just need to be aware that it blindly follows the lane markers and gives up at a moment's notice if it suddenly can't detect the lane markers anymore. I drove this A6 for almost 4000 kms and it happened multiple times. It particularly had a hard time in construction zones where the lanes got rerouted using orange lane markers. It wanted to keep following the white once and jerked the steering wheel. I had to frequently turn it off.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-23-2022 at 04:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NLP2022 (07-23-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well Explained, thank you. I did try to adjust to early mode; however, MMA is giving me the option of only vibrating on-off. What am I missing here ? Thanks superswiss
Old 07-23-2022, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What year is your SQ5? Putting your actual model and model year in your profile and signature helps others give more specific answers. These systems evolve over time and not all settings may be available in older model years.
Old 07-23-2022, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It is the 2022 Prestige package .
Old 07-23-2022, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, you should have it as explained on page 169 of your owners manual, however it sounds like the setting may not be available based on equipment and then it functions in the Late setting. Not sure what equipment is needed. The Prestige is pretty well equipped. Is your car missing any equipment due to the ongoing chip shortage?

Last edited by superswiss; 07-23-2022 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I don't believe so. I ordered it as a VW employee in February last year when the group still had it all in stock (at least I know and am not aware of any missing feature that day would communicate with me about). The only thing missing was the phone charger pad which I didn't even care about. I received both keys as well. Now, when you pointed out, I also found out that the seat convenience exit is not operating, even if there is enabled in the MMI. I suspect that is a software issue, and I have an appointment at the dealer next week, and I will request to get checked. I will posted when I get the answer.