Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JohnP, PapaJohn, others: Using Blau harness and stock rear speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2000, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JohnP, PapaJohn, others: Using Blau harness and stock rear speakers

I have a 99.5 QTMS, non-bose with Concert HU.
I plan to install 5.25 components (Polk), a 4 channel amp(PPI, Phoenix Gold, or Rockford) with 2 channels bridged for a 10" sub (JL 10W3 Prowedge, or ???). I have purchased the Blaupunkt wiring adapter from Crutchfield, and I want to keep the stock rear speakers as they are set up now. The Blau adapter has line-outs for front and rear, left and right. Obviously I would hook the front RCA outs to drive the front channels. How should the sub be connected? If I use the rear line-outs, would that disable the signal already going there? Can a 4-channel amp take just the front signal and double it? Also, with this harness, will the Head Unit still control fader/balance, and treble and bass?
Thanx
Old 12-17-2000, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't have all the answers, but some.

First off, you will still retain full functionality with EVERYTHING, including balance, fade, tone, etc. But that's only if you keep the rears running off the rear preouts and the fronts from the front preouts. If you 'join' the front and rear as I think your suggesting, you'll obviously lose the fade control. I suppose you could do as you suggest, and leave the rears but you would have to somehow get them the signal, because when you cut the connector you'll be removing that line out feed. I suppose you could modify the B adapter to feed them, but I suggest you hook things up and experiment first. Plenty of folks run theirs w/o rears or you may even like the sound w/o a sub. If not, you could always add an inexpensive amp! Have fun.
Old 12-17-2000, 07:34 PM
John P.

Default Okay--here's a solution for you, Brian . . .

I just completed a test run of my new system--it sounds unreal--one of the best I've heard (sorry, I had to gloat). And I'm using the Concert deck!

Anyhow, here's what you can do to accomplish what you want AND still retain your fader:

1) Fronts & Sub--attach a Y-splitter to the RF & another to the LF of the Blau adapter. Connect these 4 RCAs to the amp in the appropriate manner.

2) Rears--leave as stock.

With this, you should be able to adjust the level settings on your amp so that the rears act as rear fill (b/c the fronts will have more power). As you fade to the front, your bass settings should be almost identical to when in the 0 fade setting. If you fade to the rear, you will decrease the "volume" of the subs and the fronts.

Is that clear?

Good luck,

John P.