Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a Sub.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2001, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a Sub.

Hi, I have a '00 1.8TQMSX sedan. I want to add a little kick to my factory 2000 Symphony unit, namely with a Sub and amp. I'm not looking for serious power, but rather to round out the frequency response of the system, and mantain (or improve) fidelity.

I am looking for recommendations for a non-intrusive, easy to install sub. Is it possible to fit something under the passenger seat, run the line outs from the head unit, and stash the amp somewhere up front?

A full speaker upgrade with extra amp is not out of the question later on, but I'd rather just start with this.

Can you recommend components that would fit this bill? I plan on probably doing the work myself.

Thanks,

tk2x
San Francisco
Old 10-22-2001, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Just a Sub.

Fitting something under rear seat is not a quick process. Thats a rear bench. It would require a lot of labor to do.

The quickest easiest install is an Infinity Basslink, but for equivalent cash, someone can build you a box and you get an amp.

Next quickest is a square box with the amp mounted onto it, but that takes up a decent amount of trunk space.

You could mount the amp to the rear deck in the trunk to get it out of the way, then have a box built into the sidewall of the trunk like I am. Cost for me will be $350 for 2x10" box with a flush mount panel to make it look stock.

Should be cheaper for just 1 box. There's many options.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:00 PM

Actually, I meant under the right FRONT passenger seat. Is it possible to stick something down there?

As for mounting under the rear seat.. that's an interesting idea too. I have already mounted my Nokia handsfree kit interface boxes down there and it wasn't too hard. It might give the rear passenger a "special feeling" when I turn up the volume though
Old 10-22-2001, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Consider this:

Any 10" sub woofer is at least 5" deep. This sub has to go in a box which is at least 1/2" thick wood. This box needs airspace for the sub. Do you think you can fit that under a seat?

It HAS been done (not on an audi to my knowledge, but to other cars). But it generally involves cutting out the floor of the car and welding in a metal case which acts as the enclosure for the subitself.
Old 10-22-2001, 04:34 PM

OK Never mind thanks for the info
Old 10-23-2001, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Beware...its a sickness. I started by adding a 5 channel Eclipse amp to power my stock nonbose system. Vast improvement. Then I added a passive sub (Blaupunkt europe) which didn't have enough thump. Now I have a Boston 10" in a small sealed enclosure which is strapped (for easy removal) in the trunk. I also upgraded the front components to 5.25" seps and am very pleased with the results.