Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like I'm going with Alumapro Alchemy 12" DVC sub...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2001, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looks like I'm going with Alumapro Alchemy 12" DVC sub...

I did some research and read some reviews... Based on what I've found so far, this sub seems like the best choice for me. Plus.. they are located in Addison, IL... just minutes from where I work. I'm stopping in there tomorrow to see if I can listen to one, and find out some technical info on it.
Old 04-18-2001, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They only make a 6-Ohm per coil DVC, which will give you only 3-Ohms

when wired as you mention below. You won't be getting the most power output out of your 2-Ohm stable amp with this driver, since the load will only be 3-Ohms.

This is why I chose the a/d/s/ 310rs.2 over the Alchemy, by the way.
Old 04-18-2001, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not getting all that he can, but also leaving a bigger margin of safety.

I would rather run a load *close* to the max/min of an amp - than right on it. May lose some available power, but I think that it is worth it to save my investment from going *poof*! If he is not going to compete, then he should buy a more powerful amp and run it at less than maximum.

mark
Old 04-18-2001, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I called the guys at Alumapro.. (ironically, their factory is near where I live)....

and yes, they are 6ohm voice coils so the parallel load will be 3ohms. I estimate the amp will be putting out somewhere around 150watts... give or take... it varies depending on the frequency.

The guy at Alumapro said that the Alchemy is a very efficient sub so the amp should be plenty to make it sound good. Since I'm not competing and I'm not concerned with impressing anybody outside the car.... I just want it to sound good inside the car... it should be fine. Also, he suggested I build the box right at 1.0 cubic feet to get the most efficiency out of the sub.

And... if I really decide down the road that I need more power, I can rearrange the amp to run two channel stereo at 100 watts per channel into 4ohms for the front stage, then I could buy a second mono amp with more power and hook it up separate to the sub. (That's the beauty of Xtant amps!) Plus... when I first installed my system, I pre-wired everything to accomodate two separate amps. So I now have the flexibility to upgrade as my needs change. The cables are all there... All I need to do is plug and play!