Sponsored by:

Lotsa Audi newbie questions here,

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lotsa Audi newbie questions here,

Hi all,
I have a 98 A4 Avant 2.6 (Im in South Africa)
fitted with a Delta HU and CD changer.

I've spent almost 2 nights reading through all the audio topics, so I have a fair idea of what will need to be done to install a phatbox system. But I'd just like to make 100% sure as I will need to order all the parts from the USA as nothing is available here for the install.

Okay :

1) The Delta HU I have must be a Bose system as under the cd changer there is a box labeled Nokia. Is there any indication on the HU that the system is in Bose mode ?

2) I've aquired a Concert HU of eBay which I will be replacing the Delta HU with. Can some1 plz confrim that it is a direct swop.

http://i5.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/bc/9e/91_1_b.JPG

3) Is there no way that I can get the Phatbox working off the 8pin din ? If not, would my easiest option be to replace the 8pin cable with a new 13pin cable from the HU to the trunk ?

4) Last question - I think :-)
Are the sedan / avant cables from the HU to the trunk all the same length ? As I might be able to get a cable from the breakers.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Welcome. Some answers:

Hi all,
I have a 98 A4 Avant 2.6 (Im in South Africa) fitted with a Delta HU and CD changer.

Ted: Yup. That sounds about right. PS: I'm from USA (Boston)

I've spent almost 2 nights reading through all the audio topics, so I have a fair idea of what will need to be done to install a phatbox system. But I'd just like to make 100% sure as I will need to order all the parts from the USA as nothing is available here for the install.

Ted: Great. We appreciate when someone reads/searches the forum first…before asking a question that has been covered 10x in the last week/month etc. Bravo to you!

Okay :

1) The Delta HU I have must be a Bose system as under the cd changer there is a box labeled Nokia. Is there any indication on the HU that the system is in Bose mode ?

Ted: As I recall …even with the Delta HU, the word "Bose" will appear. Do you have the Bose logo on the speaker grilles? If yes, then you have Bose. Also, if you have box labelled Nokia…it might be for an aftermarket handsfree cellphone kit. Not sure.

2) I've aquired a Concert HU of eBay which I will be replacing the Delta HU with. Can some1 plz confrim that it is a direct swop.

http://i5.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/bc/9e/91_1_b.JPG

Ted: Yup, should be pretty straight forward. You might need to change a few items back there…but I'm not certain. I know a friend who did this in his 1995 S6 (with Delta HU). Here is his user info in audiworld; drop him a line for some specifics for what he did:
Tom aka: 4Driver4 (tmullane@gmail.com)
http://account.audiworld.com/users/43812.phtml

3) Is there no way that I can get the Phatbox working off the 8pin din ? If not, would my easiest option be to replace the 8pin cable with a new 13pin cable from the HU to the trunk ?
Ted: Probably not. In reality, the round 13pin cd changer plug in the trunk of most audis (1998-2004) actually uses 9 pin (8 + 1 for ground). You are better off buying the right cable and running it to the trunk. Actually, I believe you can save some $$ buy buying the VW version (rectangular end vs. round for audi) and just use the VW Phatbox interface. Ask Tom for part#'s and details. See also my sig for my Phatbox install. I have the pbox and absolutely love it.

4) Last question - I think :-)
Are the sedan / avant cables from the HU to the trunk all the same length ? As I might be able to get a cable from the breakers.
Ted: Yup. One length for both. Easier to just get the OEM cable with the OEM connectors. See my sig for my Nav+ pictures for pix of changer cable.

Ted: May the force be with you. Ha!
Old 09-08-2005, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Welcome. Some answers:

THANKS for the reply TeddyB. Really super help.

I've dropped Tom an email, so we will c what he comes up with.

My Delta HU says nothing about BOSE or any of the speaker grills. It must be a BOSE amp as it looks exactly like a picture I spotted here on the forum. Unless it's just an empty box :-0

So if the newer Audis use 9 pins of the 13, and 1 is earth, should'nt I get away with chopping the 8pin din plug of and rewiring it to a 13Pin din plug. The 9'th pin I could just ground. I would probably need to change the pins on the HU plug as well. -- I'm just not in the mood of stripping out the interior to get the new cable rerouted.

- Oh man u got a killer setup in your car.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wouldn't try and modify the current 8 pin because:

A) the wires might not match up
B) the audio wires need to be shielded from the power wires in that cable. If you try and move reallocate the wires...then you could end up with the dreaded "engine" wine/hum...from the alternater.

Not worth the time....just get the right cable so you don't have any issues down the road.

Thanks on the compliment. I'm going to install the RNS-E in the coming months...see my sig for the pix.

-ted
Old 09-08-2005, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I wouldn't try and modify the current 8 pin because:

Ur Crazy ! I think you know Audi systems backwards.

I think u are right - I might as well replace the whole cable.

The din plug in the trunk ,do they all have some pins missing ?
Old 09-09-2005, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default see these pix of mine. Good luck!!

<ul><li><a href="http://www.vwnavi.com/vwnavi/photos/index.php?cat=10030">http://www.vwnavi.com/vwnavi/photos/index.php?cat=10030</a</li></ul>
Old 09-09-2005, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I wouldn't try and modify the current 8 pin because:

Would this cable work ?

Aparantly a Audi - Panasonic cd changer cable
Old 09-09-2005, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

nope.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: see these pix of mine. Good luck!!

Thanks 4 the help Teddy, I'll watch eBay for a cable.