Sponsored by:

Lower screen on 2021 A6 Allroad not responsive

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Lower screen on 2021 A6 Allroad not responsive

Hi,

I hope this is okay (I am new here), but I posted this in a different forum here, but then thought it might be better in this forum.

Hi everyone,

I just bought my first Audi for my 60th Birthday present to myself. It's a 2021 A6 Allroad. Beautiful vehicle. I took it out for a longer spin yesterday through the winding country roads outside the city I live in (Minneapolis). I drove about 150 miles, over the course of 3-4 hours. Everything was just great. Then, right when I got home, as I was pulling into my driveway, the lower screen (the one with the A/C, etc.) stopped responding to my touch commands. The screen itself seemed to be working because when I would touch a command, a white line would appear above the command box indicating it was receiving capacitive touch, but the command itself wouldn't do anything. There were a few exceptions. if I pressed pretty hard, I could change fan speed and temperature, but nothing else. I could not even open my garage door (which I had previously set up a few days ago without any issues). I turned the car off, opened the door, closed the door, restarted the system. No change. I did this at least three times. No change. Then, I used my phone to get into my garage (MyQ app) and left the car sit for about 15 minutes, came back out and everything was working normally. Since this is a used car, I am worried this had been an issue for the previous owner. I have attached a short video of the issue.

The car was purchased in late-June 2021, and only has 18,000 miles, so still under warranty for quite some time. I don't want to have to bring it in, and let it sit at the dealer for who knows how long for them to tell me they couldn't recreate the problem and give it back to me with nothing changed.

Maybe it's user error. Is there some setting I might have accidentally hit that would prevent the AC screen from responding (e.g. a child protection setting)? Anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7105.mov (10.27 MB, 3 views)
Old 09-11-2023, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I should add that I did do a search on this and another forum and wasn't able to find an answer. I also looked in the manual, didn't find anything either. I did learn that I can reset the system by holding down the volume **** for 10 seconds, but the problem had gone away on its own before I tried this. I did try it just to see what would happen and verified this does reset the system (not sure if that would have solved the problem or not).
Old 09-11-2023, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,739 Posts

I wouldn't hesitate to take it to the dealership if it's under warranty. As for can't reproduce, show them the issue right there when the service writer is getting the mileage, etc. Make sure you know someone there has seen you demonstrate the issue. And if it works for them, you want to see it work for them pressing the buttons.

But point being, there might be a software update for some kind of non-response issue. Or if it is in fact a developing issue that might not finally fail for quite some time, you want it already on record that you have observed errant behavior from the unit long before warranty was over.

From a DIY, it would be best to do a scan with VCDS or such and see if the car is already aware of some issue going on. It's random guessing at electrical issues in an Audi without a scan.

Search seems to turn up options of "rebooting" (holding the volume button until the screens blank and restart) and of "disabling the haptic feedback".
Old 09-11-2023, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good points. Thank you.