Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MarkP, can you discuss how you ran the wires for your system?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2000, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MarkP, can you discuss how you ran the wires for your system?

I am most curious as to where you ran your rear door speaker wire. I assume you ran power down one side, patch cables in the middle and speaker wire down the other.

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2000, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Power down the driver's side, RCA's down the passenger's side, speakers on both
Old 12-14-2000, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So you didn't separate the speakers from power?
Old 12-14-2000, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default It's nearly impossible to run speaker wires from the rear to both front doors, both rear doors & ...

the rear deck without running along side with power.

Really, you want to keep the RCA's and power separate. If you have a little bit of noise on the power lines, would you rather have it entered in through the speaker wires and come out of the speakers, *or* enter in through the RCA's, then amplify the noise and come out through speakers.

I have some noise at low levels, but I still need to replace one main RCA (forgot to buy a good one - had a shanty one laying around and used it) But even how it is now, it's pretty darn "clean"
Old 12-15-2000, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That's what I thought! I couldn't think of a way to get to the rear doors without running next to

the power....

Ok, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
Old 12-15-2000, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Another question.....

Why did you choose to put the crossovers in the trunk instead of the doors? Purely cosmetic for the box? Doesn't having them in the trunk double the amount of wire you used? Also, what gauge wire is that?

TIA!
Old 12-17-2000, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I ran power down drivers, RCA down center, and speaker down passenger.. no noise at all.

Even when I crank the volume all the way up, pause the CD, and rev the engine.
Old 12-17-2000, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Yes, for display - yes, double the wire - 12AWG (overkill)
Old 12-17-2000, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Expert

How'd you get speaker wires from your amp to the driver's side speakers?
Old 12-18-2000, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default here.....

First, I mounted the crossovers under the back seat cushion on the passenger side. There's lots of room under there. This way, I don't have to pull the door panels every time I want to make an adjustment to the crossover. The wires that connect the amp (located in the trunk) to the crossovers run behind the shoulder bolster on the passenger side then under the seat. From there, I ran the individual speaker wires off the crossovers down the passenger side door sill(four sets of 12 gage and YES they fit under the door sill) to the foot well on the passenger side. From there, two sets go into the passenger door through the existing harness grommet, and the other set goes up under the dash, behind the center counsel, and across to the drivers side. At the point where the speaker wires cross the power wire, they are spaced well apart. I have at least a foot of space between them, and they cross at a perpendicular angle which helps reject noise as well. The power wire coming through the grommet behind the clutch is routed along the floor under the carpet, and the speaker wires are suspended up high under the dash then drop down to the door grommet from above... thus giving me a good amount of distance between them.

I don't have any speakers in the rear deck or rear doors so there are no issues there. I'm just running 6-1/2" separates in the front, and a 10" sub in the trunk. However, If I so decided to put new speakers in the rear deck, I already pre-planned for it and ran my power and ground wires in a way that I can still keep the speaker wires away from them.

Quick Reply: MarkP, can you discuss how you ran the wires for your system?