Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI 2G Update Problems - HandyVorb2, Metadata and Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI 2G Update Problems - HandyVorb2, Metadata and Bluetooth?

Dear community, long time lurker, first time poster.

I've a 2008 A5 running 4690 MMI 2G Hi.

Sometime ago I lost Bluetooth connectivity, well, I lost the ability to connect the phone - Assuming it's BT.
I've ignored it but it's been bothering me significantly.

So I thought I'd give the update a go, the 3 CD update, obviously CD 1 did not work as it's an earlier version, update 2 seems to go well, until it completes and says Handyvorb2 not okay, there is another message that says it has not updated to version 9990 and resides on version 950.

I tried to goto CD 3 anyway as having everything else updated would be great but then it says missing Metadata, can only deduct that it's the Handyvorb firmware preventing the matching of metadata?

Couple of things to note;

I notice briefly it says 'unlock number 1 please' whilst trying to update Handyvorb.

If I go back to the SWUpdate screen, it shows me the modules due to be updated, and if I click though there is no ability to check or uncheck, so I suspect the other items all updated ok in my previous attempt.
I am just left with Handyvorb2 not okay.

Earlier last year I did get a VCDS print out and there were errors on the telephone - Address 77, Part No HW nIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Short to ground on Antenna, and open circuit.
No signal communication wire adapter set.

Has anyone the foggiest of what's occurring here?

I had a gut instinct my BT module had died, and that's why I lost the phone - Now I goto update and review the print out starting to think something more problematic is at play.

Hoping it's just a simple case of a new BT module and I can follow some online guides.

If not, then not sure what to do... I'd really like to get the whole unit updated.

Any help is greatly sought after!

I'm in Bristol, UK if anyone with some know how is local - I'll get the beer!
Old 04-26-2018, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update;

So after some more reading I may have found the culprit, the CD's I was using were imagines with the 4L0 platform.
Having done some reading I've found a reference to 8K0 998 961 being the correct set for the A5.

I guess there must be some differences in the metadata on the platforms, hence the error messages, turns out a fair few people have had this.

So after burning about 10 CD's in anger I gave in and called Audi and ordered them. He didn't want to let them sell as were under Workshop Tools, but said he would because he couldn't actually see what the item was - Just the code and £10.02 to be ordered in.

Strange behaviour, but glad he was happy to help me out - No point taking their engineers time.

I still believe I've a BT module issue, but wanted to try the software update to see if that resolves the issue. Funny thing was it was after a service at Audi that I notice my BT stopped working, I asked them and they said there was no way they could have touched the BT unit and avoided any support - I only asked for them to scan, and they wanted £159 a the time!

I've since had the VCDS from another garage, as referred to above, I'm hoping it's just a firmware issue that's causing the faults - I'll see if these new discs allow update, if they do and unit is still buggered I'll find someone with VCDS and see if they can work their magic - Just trying to rule out any low cost fixes before spanking £400 on an auto-electrician.

That said, if this is a BT issue, I might just give in an retro fit the 3G + system.

Will update next week once the new discs arrive.