Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY SYSTEM ANY VIEWS???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2001, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY SYSTEM ANY VIEWS???

I've nearly got everything hear goes....

Nakamichi MB-100

PPI PC-1800.2 mono amplifier plus Q-BASS MODULE

1 JL Audio 12W3

PPI PC-4400.2 4channel amplfier

Boston Acoustic Rears

Focal Comp in Fronts

i'm not bass crazy just want a high class sound in my motor.
Old 02-14-2001, 02:50 PM

Default That should sound pretty good, although I think the sub may be one area you might want to change...

What does the 1800.2 put out in bridged mono 4-ohms? I'd assume it's over 600 watts. I know the JL can handle it, but I think there are other subs out there that would sound much better off that amp. I know you don't want tons of bass, but I didn't find the 12w3's sound quality to be all that good either.
Take a look at these subs:
Audiomobile Mass 2012 (very nice woofer)
Eclipse Titanium
Alumpro (forget the specific model #)
Infinity Perfect 12 (what I have, compared side by side to the JL it's way better, in both SQ and output).

Otherwise I think your setup will rock. You've got a great headunit, great amps, great speakers up front, so I think you should get a great sub, not just a good one.
Old 02-14-2001, 03:24 PM
John P.

Default I fully agree. The sub is your weakest link. (more)

I don't want to say that JL Audio is bad, but there are so many choices out there that could yield better-sounding results.

If you need a 4-Ohm DVC sub, also consider an a/d/s/ 312rs.2. I'm very pleased with my 310rs.2.
Old 02-14-2001, 08:12 PM

Default Yeah JL's are the most popular subs out there, and here is a quote from my

dealer/installer : "JL's are great subs, they handle way more power than they are rated for, and they are quite reliable. But, they don't really excel at anything. They are more of an all-around performer. Bad at nothing, Good at everything, great at nothing..."
Old 02-15-2001, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default How do the Boston Acoustics Pro Series subs rate to the ones recommended?

Do the ones you suggested require .5 cubic feet like the 10" BA, or do they require more space?
Old 02-15-2001, 06:24 AM

No I think all of them (i was talking 12's), require between .75 and 1.25 cu-ft (sealed)
Old 02-15-2001, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default a few thoughts

Like everyone, I have my personal opinions, so take them with a grain of salt.

1. I agree with others views on JL Audio subs, work good for people who place high SPL above SQ (sound quality).

2. PPI: this was one of the premier amp and sub brands for many years, and still make good products. However, with their financial situation since mergers with Phase Audio/Butler TubeDriver and now taken over by a/d/s, I've heard that they have been cutting costs by cutting quality on their products. Last yer they had a lot of merchandise sent back due to malfunctions. Of course, making all these repairs and loss of costumer confidence is probably costing more than what they saved. I sincerely hope they don't go the way of SoundStream. a/d/s is a good company, so we'll see. Otherwise, for the money, I think Kicker is really tough to beat.

3. Personaly, I see no need for rear fill speakers, unless you like those effect modes (like stadium, jazz club etc...), plus you need a DSP unit. Otherwise, take the money you save from that and build custom kick panels for the front speakers. The Focals are a good choice (I'm partial to Dynaudios, but basically in the same league; I've also heard good things about CD Technologies, but have not heard them, yet).

4. For subs, I used to have one 15" USD sealed sub that I just sold to my friend. I just had a pair of 12" IDQ subs by Image Dynamics installed in a sealed enclosure powered by a Phoenix Gold ZX400ti amp, and it is incredible. The funny thing is that after picking the car up and driving home, I thought it sounded horrible, super loud real low deep nd and no mid bass. It sounded like a rap thumper. However, after getting home I adjusted the gain and cross-over settings, and it was a beautiful thing.
Old 02-15-2001, 11:49 AM
TM

Default Some thoughts (more)

The system you spec out here looks awesome, although I am in agreement w/ the others- the JL sub is probably your weakest point.

How about a Focal sub to go along w/ those components?