Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Audi XM info...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 11:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Audi XM info...

I'm assuminng that the Audi XM tuner takes the place of a CD changer and uses the same wiring (with the addition of the antenna leads). Is this correct or is it possible to use the XM tuner and a changer at the same time?

If I am correct and the XM tuner is operating as a CD changer then it should be possible to use it on the pre 2004 cars? Has anyone tried? Might it even be possible to use it with the Symmpony I radio?

I'm actually considering getting the tuner to do a little experimentation, but if there is anyone here who knows better than me let me know!
Old 10-25-2004, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

totally different connector, it does not directly replace the CD Changer
Old 10-25-2004, 02:31 PM

Default You can do either one. More inside...

It depends on what you want. If you want the cd changer then you can use an FM modulator that uses a predetemined radio station to filter the XM through. However, if you use the FM modulator, it draws more power to the XM then regular radio so your regular radio will have a weaker signal and not sound very good.

There is a blitzsage adapter that you can connect to the cd changer if you want to go that route. It should not affect your regular radio stations. Use the search feature to find the XM blitzsafe adapter.

Either way is acceptable. You will get better results if you use a reputable installer for the XM. Just remember that if you ever want to change the head unit then you will lose the cd changer anyway....

I personally used the FM modulator because I don't listen to local radio anymore.
**The choice is yours.**
Old 10-25-2004, 08:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I mean the Audi OEM XM tuner...

I meant using the OEM tuner with older Audi HUs like pre 2004 Symphony II and Symphony I, not using a Blitzafe adaptor or FM modulator with an aftermarket tuner.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Maybe not directly replace but ...

Maybe not directly replace but it uses the same harness to the HU right? There is no specific connection for XM on the HU (that I know of) so I'm guessing it uses the same pins as the CD changer, and both cannot be used at once?

What are the connections on the tuner? I'm guessing power, ground, Audio L, Audio R, Audio Shield, and the three Data lines (Clock, Data, Enable or whatever) - same connections as the CD changer or am I totally wrong?
Old 10-26-2004, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I don't directly know either. I think you are right, they use the same conenction to the H/U...

but I have seen 2 different ways the sat. module connects to the harness. One is near the drivers seat controls (!)
Old 10-26-2004, 07:12 PM

Default What year vehicle?

If it is a 2004, that is correct.
I have a kit available that will allow you to run Sat radio with either Phat noise, I-pod, or an additional CD changer. This is for vehicle equipped with factory Sat radio.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/threads/85036.phtml#712342">https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/threads/85036.phtml#712342</a</li></ul>
Old 10-26-2004, 10:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default So sometimes the tuner mounts under the seat?

What car is that on, the A8?
Old 10-26-2004, 10:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2001 A4, but curious about 2002-2003 as well

2001 A4 with Sympony I. When you say correct do you mean that the tuners can be added to Sympony II radios without the "Sat" button.

If a Phatbox/CD changer and the XM tuner cannot be used in the same car then it would be logical to assume they use the same connections on the HU correct?

By the way is your device some sort of switch, or is it something else?
Old 10-27-2004, 06:22 AM

Default Re: 2001 A4, but curious about 2002-2003 as well

You can't add a factory XM, but you should be able to add and aftermarket one on a 2001.

Our product is a new harness.

Quick Reply: Need Audi XM info...