Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Audio Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Audio Help!

I have a B6 S4 with the Bose system and XM. I just found out that I can't have my iPod hooked up if XM is connected and I am fired up. I was thinking about going with a new system anyway, so this sort of made the decision for me. Went to my local car toys, asked what they had for an in dash DVD monitor set up.

Long story short the guy said they would have to "redo my whole system" and asked what I wanted. My question is what will I need as far as speakers, amps, and subs for a good upgrade, nothing crazy, just something useful. Also will the stereo control on my steering wheel function with an after market stereo or will that be useless?

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Answers

A) I'm not sold on the fact that you can't have an Ipod hooked up to the stock system if you have XM. I know there are adapters out there to get around mulitple input systems. Moral: I'd be carefull trusting any car toys employee (not ALL that knowledgable)

B)They ARE correct that you'd have to dump everything you have and start over to do much to the stereo. The bose system works at different ohm loads, so it makes it VERY difficult to add things.

C) parts for a new system?? well, that can be about as subjective a question as they get. You will get ALL kinds of responses. Honestly, it depends on what kind of sound makes YOU happy.

I'd suggest new component speakers up front, and a sub at the bare minimum. A new amp is assumed here as well (Again, about as many options as you can think of) A new deck would be required if infact you want input options that aren't available to you via the stock deck (I'm not certain what the dash situation is in the new S4's, in the B5 S4, you had to have a custom dash kit as well as there is no aftermarket solution)

d) with the above, no, your steering wheel controls will NOT work. I KNOW there are ways to GET them to work, but I also saw you're complaint in the rocky-mountain forum about cost.... the fix would cost you a LOT by someone with some good skills and knowledge.

E) as to cost.... I would tell you that spending 1500 on equipment alone, not to mention another 1 to 1.5K in installation would not be alarming. If you have installation skills that's one thing, if not, don't plan on spending any LESS then 1500 on a good base system and installation

Rian