Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help with A3 (8p) 2006 audio set-up!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with A3 (8p) 2006 audio set-up!!

I need a couple of things cleared up. I have been reading through the past posts about this topic cause it seems to be a popular subject. I have an 06 Audi A3 2.0T non-Bose. All i want to do is get rid of that center channel speaker everyone is talking about ( but i have no idea where its located..) I also want to disable to OEM sub, but still have the rear speakers functioning. I want to keep the factor HU, and install 1 12"" Sub and amp, running 300 watts RMS tops! I also read something about forcing the HU into BOSE mode is good and some say no don't do it. Most people are refering to that one dude that makes you a custom harness, but i don't know what to do. I want a clean install, no drama, oem clean look. BTW i have a DICE ipod adapter harness laying around that i can use, so please if anyone has any feedback i would gladly appreciate it.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The front center fill speaker is in the middle on top of the dash. ....

under a speaker grill. To disable the rear sub-woofer, remove the side panel, then simply unplug the wire harness connector plugged into the sub-woofer. For adding a better amp/sub, you can use the line level inputs to the current amp, for the new amp.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Pull the HU, locate the front speaker harness and snip one of the thin wires bridging the 2 front

channels. It's easy to spot, you'll have 4 normal wires for the front speakers then doubled up on 2 connections two very skinny wores, just snip one of these. This will disconnect the awful "baby crying" centre speaker.
To disconnect the sub and keep the rears working you'll need to get inside the sub enclosure and disconnect the speaker, remembering to tape up the connections so they don't short on anything.
Bose mode is terrible, completely flat - "No Highs, no lows it must be BOSE"
So if you like a muffled woolly sound then simply earth the Bose/Gamma pin on the back of the HU and viola - no bass/no treble - job done.
You only want the flat EQ of Bose mode if you're installing your own EQ in between the HU and the amps.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Disconnecting the sub by simply unplugging it will disconnect the rears also
Old 12-18-2007, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It the connector at the sub is disconnected, how does that also disconnect the right/left rear ...

speaker channels?
Old 12-18-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Re: The front center fill speaker is in the middle on top of the dash. ....

The line level inputs from the amp, pretty much tapping into the wiring going to the rear components??? Is it true if i do unplug the rear sub do i also kill the rear components as well?? Do i also use the rear amp for remote connection?? I am sorry if i am asking some noobie questions here, but i just wanna a clean install, for god sakes this is an audi here not a honda or something.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Referring to the wiring diagrams, the sub is connected to the amp on its own circuit, ...

and the right/left rear channel speakers are each connected directly to the amp via separate circuits, so I don't see how the rear rh/lh channels would be disconnected by unplugging the sub woofer connector. One way to know for sure is to try it. With the sub disconnected, do the mid range rear speakers work or not? It won't hurt anything to try that.
I don't understand your first question on the line level connections. The rear mid/sub amp that powers the sub woofer and rh/lh rear mid range channels, is connected to the HU line outs for the rear channels.
The same line level circuits connected to the original rear sub amp can be reused for the signal source connections for the new amp. The front channels are powered by the amp inside the HU, and are connected directly to the high level outputs at the HU for the front channels. The remote amp turn on wire connected to the OE rear amp, can be used to control the new amp instead. However, the new amp should have a larger dedicated power supply wire run back from the +12vdc "30" buss connection under the dash, or better, from the battery +post. A larger ground wire is needed also.
No worries about the questions, that is what the forum is for.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Referring to the wiring diagrams, the sub is connected to the amp on its own circuit, ...

Awesome man, thanx alot. Most likely i will be tapping into the reference from the sub to add my amp, as far as my remote, other than the stock rear amp, any other good suggestions??
Old 12-21-2007, 01:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Because the sub amp inside the enclosure also drives the rears
Old 12-21-2007, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, understood. I am referring to the connector at the sub itself, the high level amplified...

sub channel from the amp. Not the low level channels into the amp.

Quick Reply: Need Help with A3 (8p) 2006 audio set-up!!