Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need install help! trying to install 5.25 kappas in the front door w/ quart adapters (M)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need install help! trying to install 5.25 kappas in the front door w/ quart adapters (M)

first: i'll preface this by saying that i chose the kappas after listening to others, so i'm not changing! but, thanks for any speaker suggestions otherwise.
second: i'll slowly upgrading the system in pieces, so it'll take a while for it to come together.

OK. the door panel would not fit after i installed the kappas using the quart adapters. has anyone run into this before? i thought i did a thorough search and didn't see any issues. just replacing the stock fronts w/ the new speakers for now. any ideas???? if you did get them to fit, how'd you do it?
TIA
Old 09-03-2002, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I just did this this weekend adn had no problems with the fit...if anything

the quart adapters didn't like up withthe OEM holes to well.
Old 09-03-2002, 05:57 PM

did you use the kappas?
Old 09-04-2002, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yes...and I bought then form a friend who had them in his MY2000 A4

He had no fit problems with the MB quart adapters either. Are you sure you have them adapters screwed down all the way? I had issues getting my adapters on. The part of the adapters where the 3 screws threaded into and lined up with the door speakers screw holes lined up fine, but weren't lining up flat against the door holes. basically I had to just put each screw in a turn or so before I could tighten the whole adapter down. Then when I did tighten it down all the way, it bent the adapter screw holes tubes into place. It woudl have been nice if the angles of those screw hole tunes were right and just matched up with the doors, but we got it to work. I might have had a bad set of adapters because my friend said his adapters fit fine when he installed them in his car. I had to use long enough screws so that I could get them to thread at the top of the door holes, but short enough to bring the quart adapter flush to the door. Maybe your screws are too long and there is space between the adapter and the door. Just a thought. A

An FY! for those who want to upgrade rear speakers with MB Quart adapters. The kappas don't line up with the holes in the 6.5" adapter. I got 2 of the holes to line up so i could screw them down then I zip tied another. I haven't installed the 6.5's yet. I can't wait to get it all done.
Old 09-04-2002, 07:38 AM

Default good points...i'll have to tackle again this weekend. also....were you just replacing speakers, or

were you adding amps to the system too? i'm just replacing speakers. i actually had them hooked up and tested them (but panel not on all the way) and i did not get hardly any bass...i took the leads from the HU and hooked them into the 'input' area on the xover. i'm not that good at this audio stuff.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have an after maket amp runing the components.

with a the x over you are getting rid of some bass. Make sure you have the right connections. THere is a W on the corssover for the woofer (5.25) a T for the tweeter (1") and the other pair (input)is for the amp. If you wire the 5.25 to the tweeter on the xover, you will get no bass from it. And make sure to double check your ploarity is right.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:00 AM

Default i'm beginning to think i should pick up an amp....

like i mentioned, i'm not very good at connecting these things up. where did you place your amp? how did you run the wires through the door to your amp? did you use the line level inputs or did you get the blau adapter?
Old 09-04-2002, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm no expert either....from what I'm told good speakers don't sound any good without

enough power to them. So getting an amp is a big deal. Some say the headunit is a real problem too. But the sound I'm getting now is fine for me. Replacing head unit is expensive and let's people know my stereo is probably worth stealing. I don't like that kind of attention.

I have a 5 channel sony mobil es mounted to the bottom of my lower deck. THe power is run up the drivers side. i jsut tucked the cable under the plastic. The RCA's run from the amp (from the Blau adapater) down the center console then at the rear seat turn to the passenger side and up to the rear deck and them through down to the amp. The speaker wire is run on the passenger side under the pastic. Then it comes through the rear deck with the RCA's. I had to use a filter on the RCA's behind the headunit because of altenator whine. It's a $4 radio shack part. I rant the driver's side door speaker wire under the steering wheel, behind the center console, behind the glove box to the passenger side kick panel so I could run the speaker wire togther away from the power and RCA's. I got all my stuff used and under warranty from a friend who sold his A$, or elese I wouldn't have spent the $$$ on all that new stuff. And he pretty much did the installation for me :&gt Because I had no idea what I was doing.