Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New aftermarket deck..question on re-wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New aftermarket deck..question on re-wiring

In a 98 A4, I have the bose system with the single amp in back. When I install a aftermarket deck, would it be alright to cut the wires on either side of the bose amp and splicing them together? For example, for the front door speaker...the speaker wire goes from the head unit to amp to speaker. Could I cut the wire on either side of the factory amp and splice them..so it would basically be a direct line, just a little longer. Any ill affects from this?

I hope that made sense.

-thanks
Old 07-29-2003, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Why by-pass the Bose amp?

Assuming you're not going with an aftermarket amp, why eliminate the Bose amp? The speakers in Bose systems are typically 2ohm or lower and are meant to work specifically with the Bose amp. Your new HU will probably not deal very well with the bose speakers unless you keep the Bose amp to run them. You can get an adapter that will let you hook your new HU up to the rest of the Bose system. I did this on my old Jetta with Bose and it sounded decent. Better yet would be to replace the factory speakers and run them off a new amp...or directly off your new HU for the moment and go with a new amp in the future.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:54 PM

Default forgot to mention..I WILL have an aftermarket amp

I will be amping the front door speakers and the sub. My question applies to the rear deck speakers I guess. And, yes, I will be getting new speakers. Sorry I didn't phrase my question very well. I was basically wondering if there would be any ill effects from cutting the wire on either side of the amp and splicing together. thanks!
Old 07-30-2003, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: forgot to mention..I WILL have an aftermarket amp

The easy way would be to cut the speaker output wires from the Bose amp and feed them with the speaker outputs of your new amp...this is what I did to power my new front speakers. You can also cut the line-level inputs to the Bose amp and use them to feed the signal to your new amp if you don't want to run a set of interconnects from the new deck, but I highly recommend getting a nice set of interconnects and taking the time to run them directly from your new deck. You won't be able to use the Bose speakers with your new amp though.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:26 AM

thanks much..