Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to audi, got an 01 without bose

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to audi, got an 01 without bose

its that big *** head unit, any suggestions on audio upgrades? i know about the blau pre out cable, somewhat. but what about replacing the headunit? can it be done? how? with what kit? i have a sub and amp, just need to figure what other items to get.
Old 04-05-2002, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It can be done, and a custom face plate can be easily fabricated by an installer to match any

aftermarket head unit. Here's photos of the system I've installed in my 2002 S4; others have also done custom faceplates, some fabricated by pros, and some done by the owners.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/479757.phtml">Alpine Sound System</a></li></ul>
Old 04-05-2002, 12:05 PM

Default anybody else replace headunit in 01 a4 of anything with the big *** headunit

pictures welcome

and ted, did you have the amps professionally done too? those are very clean. i guess those are your subs in the side compartments, what size did you get in there?
Old 04-07-2002, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry it's taken me so long to respond...

Actually, a Double Din head unit would have slid in even more easily than mine. Mine is single Din, with a 1/2 Din EQ. The factory radio is 2.5 DIN I believe.

The amps were custom installed, as was the rest of the system. The amps are installed under the rear deck facing down at the floor of the trunk. They ran lights along the back of the amp rack between the edge of the rack and the back of the rear seats to light the entire back of the trunk. The front lights were repositioned in front of the changer to light the front of the trunk at night.

The face where the changer pokes through is actually a drawer, with the tool kit on the left in a custom plastic case, and the jack mounted on the right. It slides forward on top of the sub boxes for access.

The subs are 2 eight inch Boston Acoustic Pro series. They fit nicely in the wheel wells, and I didn't lose any space in the trunk other than 3 inches in height, dictated by the height of the CD changer. Also, I preferred two eights as the provide more punch than 10s or 12s (they physically move more quickly, so they can provide more punch, but admittedly don't move as much air as 10s or 12s; it's personal preferrence). If you haven't heard 2 8s, do yourself a favor and at least listen to them prior to making a purchase; you'll be suprised how nice they sound. I have them crossed over at around 45 hz, and they're wired in stereo. They're powered off of a 2 by 100 watt Alpine Amp that peaks at 2x250 watts. Provide temendous punch and sound really nice.