Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Stereo in 1998 A4

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Stereo in 1998 A4

I've been trying to install an amp, a pioneer deck, and two cerwin vega subs into a 98 audi I just bought, but every place I visit gives me a different reason why I cant.
One installer told me that I cannot install an aftermarket deck into my car because a dash kit does not exist and a custom one will run me about $500. Is this true? It seems like there has to be a cheaper way to put an aftermarket deck into my car.
Another installer told me that the Bose factory system runs speakers at 2 ohms, and they will not work with an aftermarket system unless I switch out all the speakers inside the car.
Another installer told me there is no way to switch out the speakers without switching the bose amps they are connected to (do factory systems run seperate amps for the door speakers?) because they will not work with an aftermarket deck.
Any information or help anyone can give me on these problems would be greatly appreciated. So far I have visited about 5 different places in San Diego and everyone has given me some reason they cannot do it or given me varying estimates from $200-$1000. What would be reasonable for this, if its possible? Thanks,
Old 11-21-2006, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here's a little help...

I'm certainly no expert, but here are some suggestions:

I would use an installer that tells you a custom kit to install an aftermarket head unit costs anywhere near $500. I had a '99.5 A4 an used this kit: <a href="http://www.cardomain.com/shop/list.pl?type_plural=Car%20Stereo%20Installation%20 Kits">Scosche AU2300</a> for $11.95 each. For that cost, why not go big an get 2 of them? =)

As for the rest of your system, I cannot give you definitive answers. I can however give you a little advise. That advise would be to not add a pair of subs (you didn't say what size or how much power) to a stock system. If you want a nice sounding stereo system in your car you *should* upgrade the tweets and mids to go along with your new bass. It's not too expensive since most will tell you to get a good set of component speakers up front and remove the rear speakers for good sub pass-through from your trunk.

The installers you spoke to are correct that the Bose systems do use odd ohm value speakers. Using an aftermarket amp on them may or may not work if it's setup to work with low resistant speakers. I ran about 40wrms into the stock components on my non-Bose in my B5 for a couple of months with a x-over point of about 100Hz. This sounded acceptable and the speakers did just fine, but I'm not one to crank it up too high.

Bottom line is if you have the extra cash to spend on an install, I'd recommend spending that money on some new comps for the front with a nice amp to compliment your new bass. Installing car stereo equipment is easy minus taking the car apart for the first time. You have plenty of help with the search feature on AW or posting questions.

Good luck!