Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM head units - What do u have in your Audi? & Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM head units - What do u have in your Audi? & Help!

As I am looking into purchasing an Audi Phatnoise MP3 system for my car I spent some time lately ensuring compatability. Phatnoise say - "no problem with any Audi radios from 98 up" (call me a cynic, but I wanted to make sure....) This is what I have found:

I have discovered something rather odd / different with the radio in my car and I suspect I am not the only one with this potential issue.

Most Audi's are fitted with either the Delta, (quite old now - in Dash Tape) Concert 1 (in dash Tape), Concert 2 (in dash CD), Symphony 1 (in dash Tape) or Symphony 2 (in dash CD)radios.

I always thought I had a Concert 1 in my Audi. No so, I have discovered! My Audi is equiped with a Eurovox Model 8790 (in dash Tape), which was installed by Audi in Australia. So, this is a Factory head-unit per se. It looks almost identical to a Concert 1, except the volume **** is on the right hand side instead of in the middle and the buttons are a slightly different style.

It gets more interesting... I also have an OEM factory fitted Audi 10 Disc CD stacker in my boot (complete with Audi Logo), which is seamlessley integrated with my head unit. Now, this was all in the car when purchased off the show room floor. None of this was fitted aftermarket. The Dealer actually told me it was a Concert System (bloody dealers.... )

Upon discovering I had the Eurovox 8790 I grabbed all my manuals and began pouring over them. I found in my delivery pack the Model 8790 manual from Eurovox with the basic user instructions. There is no mention of the radio at all in the A4 owners manual. By this stage I'm totally scratching my head...... What have I got in my car? Why does it appear Audi fitted this radio in Australia? The manual for the radio was printed in Australia (so I am assuming Audi Australia fitted the radio - if so, why?).

A search on the web turns up zilch on the Eurovox 8790 - and Eurovox's website is as useless as a pocket in a singlet. It has no info at all.

Now I have always wondered why my Trip computer does not display any radio / CD information in the top 1/3 section like most of the others i have seen. I susepct it is because of the Eurovox radio fitted to my car. I wonder if I fitted a Concert or Symphony if I would get the Trip readout?

All of this may also relate back to the Enhanced DIS unit I tried in my car from Walter, which I could not get to integrate with my trip computer. The enhanced DIS integrates with the Trip Computer via the radio. I would theorise that this explains why I could not get the Enhanced DIS unit to function in my car as it does not function with the Eurovox radio.

Can anyone shed any light on all of this?
Old 06-08-2003, 07:37 AM

Default that sucks about your radio... but what is a singlet?

from

... website is as useless as a pocket in a singlet
Old 06-11-2003, 08:11 PM
AXE

LOL