Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Symphony II head unit swap.... Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM Symphony II head unit swap.... Need help.

Hey,

my old OEM symphony II's cd player was dead so I bought a used OEM symphony on ebay. I just got done taking the old unit out and put the newish one in. CD player radio and everything works, but for some reason the front speakers will not put out any sound. The rear's work fine but the fronts are dead.

I tried putting my old unit back in to test if i broke anything, but aparently the code from my manual is not correct, so i am stuck with the newish unit.

I made sure that all of the connections in the back are all in the right place and completely flush and in. Im hoping that there might be a fuse in the fuse box that might have been blown. Anyone know what fuse this could be that might have been blown, or am i screwed with a broken head unit.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2008, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't panic... this should be an easy fix...

The head unit you bought from Ebay probably came from a BOSE equipped car, and I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that your car is NOT Bose equipped.

If that's the case, you need to get a VAG tool and go into the radio diagnostics and change the soft coding to disable the Bose in the head unit.

See, on the Bose systems, all of the speakers in the car are powered through an amp that is seperate from the head unit. On non-Bose cars, the rears are powered by external amps, and the fronts are powered by the amp inside the head unit. So basically, your stereo is trying to power an external amp for the front speakers that simply isn't there.

Both systems use the same head unit, they're just coded at the factory differently. You can change it with the VAG because it is soft coding.

However, to get the correct VAG code, I'd check with the dealer first and find out the correct security code on your ORIGINAL head unit... then reinstall it and get the VAG soft code from it... then swap it out with the new H/U and enter that same code, and you should be good to go.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Very interesting

I hope this works. I guess ill go by my local audi dealer and ask them to take a look at it and see if they can vag that basterd
Old 05-20-2008, 09:59 PM

Except your local Audi dealer is gonna charge you $100+ for that job.