Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK...any ideas of what this high pitched whine could be coming from? <long>

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK...any ideas of what this high pitched whine could be coming from? <long>

Just installed a DNX-8120 along with an Alpine PDX4.100 and RF P200-2. I ran my power to the rear (4ga) down the drivers side, and the other power (4ga) down the footwell to underneath the passenger seat (Alpine). The RCA's were run down the middle and the amp turn on was run down with the 4ga to the Alpine then on to the rear for RF.

The deck power ground was tapped in at the stock location. I PAC SWI JACK was used and the power was taken off a seperate spot and grounded seperately also as these can cause sounds in the system(what I learned thru research).

I tried regrounding the Alpine amp. I measured ALL my grounds to see if they were good, they are. I installed ground loop isolators on both sets of RCA's going to the Alpine, didn't work. Regrounded and rewired behind dash to double check...nothing.

The high pitched whine ONLY comes on when the amps turn on. I disconnected the RCA's at the amp and the whine went away. So I THINK it's coming from the deck. I tried doing a ground from the amp to the deck...didn't work. Tried a different set of RCA's from the deck to the amp(out on the seat), didn't work. Added the bigger ground cable at the battery, didn't work. I've tried EVERYTHING that I've learned in my years of doing installs WAY back when and I can't narrow it down. I have one set of speaker cable crossing perpendicular with my 4ga cable under the seat, but the sound is coming from all 4 speakers.

Should I try grounding the actual head unit itself(body) to the ground coming from the wiring harness? The RCA's aren't it, cuz like I said I tried a different set. Could the remote turn on be it as I put it close to the 4ga wire? I've always ran it near the RCA's, but did it difference this once.

Sorry...long...but I need ideas as I've tried it all. Only thing I haven't done is a power line conditioner for the head unit. Ugh...

Thanks all for your input.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:37 PM

Default Update...turns out it may be the amp itself. It seems the new PDX amps have

this issue with high pitched whine even with the car off(which mine is)and the RCA's disconnected.

Many stories after googling. Thing that sucks...bought off ebay so my warranty is shot. Wonder how much it's going to cost to fix a BRAND new amp?
Old 01-30-2009, 01:27 PM

should of went with JL amps man. How've you been?