Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok guys, going to be wiring my car myself in preparation for install, need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok guys, going to be wiring my car myself in preparation for install, need advice...

I'm going to run all the wiring myself. I need advice. Here's what I need to run wire wise. This should cover everything I need to get signals into the trunk where all the amps/xovers/subs will be.

-Power from battery
-RCAs from blauadaptor off stock symphony HU
-remote power on from symphony HU
-2 pairs speaker wires from front left components
-2 pairs speaker wires from front right components

After wiring, I want to disconnect my stock speakers in the car. I'd like to do this in a fashion so that it is relatively easy to reconnect. I know that i definiately will NOT use the front speakers, but I MAY use the rear speakers powered off the bose amp. I'm thinking the best way to disconnect the speakers is right from the bose amp. Anyone thing otherwise?

Lastly, I need advice on where to runt he wires. Obviously power down one side, RCAs down the other. But what about the wires for my components, of which are on either side of the car. They are in kickpods so I'm not dealing with doors. Which side should I run the speaker wires, RCAs, and power down?
Old 04-06-2002, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Ok guys, going to be wiring my car myself in preparation for install, need advice...

well, you can use a grommet near the ECU for the power. So, it maybe easier to run power down the drivers side. I'd suggest ditching the Bose amp, just because it puts the rears out of phase and unless you correct this your system will sound weird. You can bundle the RCA's and run them down the passenger side with the wires. I don't have a lot of experience with the dash in your car, so I can't say how tough it will be to get the wires down to the side trim. As for reconnecting the speakers later, maybe you should just keep em in place! If you have kicks, they won't hurt anything. If you can avoid opening the doors at all, you're better off. They're a pain in the ***. As for the rear doors, you can replace the speakers, but it's going to be a pain to make it stock again if that's your goal. Personally, I don't plan to sell my car for at least 6 years, and I'll want a new system by that point
Old 04-06-2002, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Ok guys, going to be wiring my car myself in preparation for install, need advice...

I ran my power on the driver side and rca, and speaker wires down the passanger. The Power is going through a gromlet (sp) through the firewall on the driverside so no point of running it across teh car to the passanger side.
Old 04-07-2002, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Speaker wire

If you're leaving the components' crossovers in back, Monster makes 16ga 4-conductor XLN speaker wire, that's what I'm using for my Focals going in shortly. $1.29/ft is better than paying $0.50-0.60/ft each for 2 separate runs, IMHO.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:58 PM

Default stereo install in A4 is so easy!!! Long explination

I did it this weekend, piece of cake.
Quick review
1. Powerwire-I ran it thought the ecu, you will see where the wires go into the car, then take the dash panel off that is under the steering wheel, (four bolts, really easy), dont let it come off the clips at the back though, this will make it harder to put back on. Grab the power wire and pull it most of the way through.
I filed a little notch out of the plastic ecu housing so that I could put the ecu cover back on, the wire fits oh so snug and looks great. the door trim that runns along the body just snaps up, pull really hard, you cant break it. Put the wire as far under the carpet that you can get it.
2)RCAs and speaker wire down passanger side, same easy removal as the drivers side. Open your door, and on the side of the dash there is a little cover, pop this off and you can see into your glovebox. Open your glove box and you can see (kind of) into the center dasy where the headunit is. Run your wires by starting in the head unit hole, run them over the glovebox, then down behind the kick panel (I forgot to say that you will have to take each side off, they are 2 screws each) and then down under the door sills cover thingy.
3. Rear seat just pops up, pull it hard. Ground wire to the bolts that hold the seat belts in under the seat. I filed some of the paint off so it gets a better connection.
4. I havent yet got to my rear doors. Front doors are really easy to take off, I just used the factory wiring, at least to the cross over.

I must say that it is so wise to get the MB Quart speaker adapters for 2 reasons, 1)you get to have larger speakers which is soooooooo good. 2)the factory holes are in a triangle, so it would be a real pain in the *** trying to mount a 4 hole speaker in there. Best $30 I spent on the install, made it so easy. Also, get 3/4inch tweetes, they just snap in the door, also very easy.

My stereo sounds so good now, I can't believe it. Also I just used a 8inch woofer in the back of my Avant, it has plenty of Bass!! My gains are turned down so low, and it still bumps when it needs to.

Any specific questions email me, I should be able to answer them. Oh yeah, remember to take your CDs out of your Changer!!!!!

HTH Scott