Sponsored by:

Opinions wanted on mp3 player + amb/sub combo

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2001, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions wanted on mp3 player + amb/sub combo

Hello all,

Over the next few months I'm looking to upgrade my existing stock bose system (a4 2001.5) and give it more power plus the possibility of playing mp3s. I'm not looking for an excessive amount of power, but a setup where I can actually hear the bass and not hear crackling

I really don't know that much about audio products, I've just heard about several of the brands. Right now I have no idea where to start w/ amps or subs. Dealing with the *possible* mp3 player issue I'm stuck between Kenwood's KDC-MP8017 and JVC's KD-SH99 units. Anyone prefer either, if so, why? And should I even consider changing the factory bose head unit at all?

Thanks for your input
Old 10-25-2001, 09:16 AM
CMC
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Opinions wanted on mp3 player + amb/sub combo

First of all, since you have the Bose system, you will have to buy new speakers all around. In terms of amps, it's really up to your limits in price and what kind of quality you're looking for. I would personally take a look at Phoenix Gold, Alpine V12's, Precision Power Amps, and there are so many others that I can't think off the top of my head right now.

What kind of music do you listen to mostly? Because the subwoofer you decide to get can depend a lot on your music preferences.

How's the PES kit working on your car? I drive a tip and I'm looking at doing the T-28 once my warranty is over next April. How's the tranny holding up?
Old 10-25-2001, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Even if I just wanted to do amp + sub I couldn't just do it as an "addon" to the bose? I thought people were able to do that w/ rca adaptors and/or low-level converters(?) of some sort. To answer your question: I listen to a lot of dance/trance music (once in awhile rock or whatever else, but mostly that).

The chip for my car has been slightly detuned b/c of my tranny, especially in first gear. I love the kit in every aspect except for that. I have been drag racing recently and that really hurts my 60' times (2.8 is my best! yeh I know.. OUCH!) I am going to get the torque convertor service done over xmas break ~$498 from levelten transmissions so the tranny will be able to hold up to 400HP and about the same in tq. At that point I'm going to ask pes to rework my chip to where it "should be now" and also make a race chip running higher boost for the track. Right now my tranny's doing fine. People have been supercharging their v6 2.8 tips for a few years now and I haven't heard any problems from them.
Old 10-25-2001, 11:46 AM
CMC
AudiWorld Super User

I apologize, I misread your post earlier about the sub+amp.

If you just want to add a sub with an amp powering the sub, you don't have to replace any speakers. I listen to a lot of dance/trance music too, and I found out listening to friends' cars that with that type of music which has very "fast" bass, 10's sound very good, even 12's, but I wouldn't go any larger than that.

So how much is the levelten tranny upgrade going to cost in total?
Old 10-25-2001, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

$498 for torque converter service + labor. They also mentioned a Hydro System service for $698 but I dont need that (only allows you to hold 1st gear longer.. big deal..) The Tq convertor service will allow me to hold more HP and increase my stall speed so I can hold higher RPM's when I launch at the drag strip. I'm also looking into doing a break setup for line locking (for automatic cars).

So let me get this straight:

#1 I CAN just add an amp + sub, but what is required exactly to do this.

#2 If I wanted to do that mp3 head unit i'd have to replace *all* of my speakers?
Old 10-25-2001, 01:23 PM
CMC
AudiWorld Super User

#1) For just an amp and a sub, all you need is the amp wiring kit to get power from the battery, and line level inputs by taking the signal from your rear speakers. Check the AW Tech section, there is a good writeup on how to install a amp + sub in your car.

#2) Since you have the Bose system, the impedance of the speakers are quite uncommon, and an aftermarket MP3 headunit (or any other headunit for that matter) will not be compatible with the Bose speakers. So you'll have to replace all your speakers. I sort of recall someone on the forum having attempted using an aftermarket HU with the Bose speakers, but I don't remember whether it was successful or not.

The Torque Converter upgrade sounds like a good plan. So once you're in gear, do you pull as well as a chipped tiptronic S4?
Old 10-25-2001, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. That mp3 head unit sounds like more trouble than its worth, but the amb + sub looks like a plan.

the PES kit is 270HP (flywheel) + front Mount (+20HP) so I should be doing 280=> 290HP right now. I can always add more boost to it up to *I think* 30PSI. CMH on the a4 forum will be tuning a pes t-28 kit starting next week for drag racing, so we'll have to wait and see what happens there.

Against the stock S4, I pull on it once I'm going in 2nd gear (this is a fact). Even with a manual tranny or my upgraded tiptronic tranny the s4 will start to pull a little earlier b/c it has more torque, but once u're going a t-28 kit (and apr stage3 for that matter) will beat a stock s4. A chipped s4 puts out like 310HP, so unless I run more boost I wont be able to beat it, but I should come close if I don't.