Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opportunity to buy 900W Rockford Fosgate amp for $250...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2000, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opportunity to buy 900W Rockford Fosgate amp for $250...

I have the opportunity to obtain a Rockford Fosgate 4-channel amp with a claimed 900W total power at an extremely discounted price. I was also told that in addition to being 4-channel, it can accomodate an additional 2 subs. It is last year's model and used to retail for more than $700. With that kind of power, and at that price, I am extremely tempted to get it.

I am not planning to add subs any time soon, or change the factory speakers on my non-Bose Symphony system. I'd like to add only the amp for now. Is this possible? I know the back speakers are powered, but the fronts are not. Can only the fronts be powered by the aftermarket amp? Or is it possible to power both the fronts and the rears with this high powered amp?

The last question I have is: will an amp with this much claimed wattage drain my battery? Will I need to upgrade my alternator in order to run this high powered monster RF amp?
Old 08-09-2000, 05:19 AM

Default What is the model number?

<p>Pooley
99.5 A4 2.8QMS
Old 08-09-2000, 07:48 AM

Default I assume it's a Power800A4.......

And if so, it's actually 100*4 @ 4 ohms. Rockford likes to name their amps and quote power specs at 2 ohms. Just be sure it is absolutely new and under warranty. It does run a little less than $700 usually, if it is the 800. And as far as the alternator question...If it is that model, it is fused at 60amps, I believe. Keep in mind that it will only require 60 amps when running all channels bridged or at 2 ohms, and near full volume. It may require large peaks of amperage for transients, but nothing excessive in normal listening.
Old 08-10-2000, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, I think that is the one.....so you're saying that it should be ok.....(more)

if I add nothing else. For now, the amp will be the only thing I'm going to add to my non-Bose Symphony system. Will the amp blow my stock speakers at normal listening levels? It shouldn't right?
Old 08-17-2000, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Get ready to replace your speakers...

I am not familiar with that specific model of amplifier, but I know that RF has a great reputation, and that amp certainly has power to spare !

The factory front speakers do not like a lot of power. They seemed to do okay when I had my ADS 40w amp, crossed over at 100Hz.
When I installed my Phoenix Gold 75w amp, also with a 100Hz high-pass crossover, I toasted the front speakers. It was not pretty.

You can certainly do it. But that amplifier will play clean at much louder volume levels than you can play now, that you won't even realize that you are overdriving the speakers.
At $250 for that amp, I would say jump on it!
But be VERY careful with your volume levels.
And put some money towards aftermarket speakers in the near future.

The one thing I noticed when I started doing my car stereo is that every upgrade brings out the weaknesses in the rest of the system.
First I added an amp -- and the stock speakers were the weak link. Then I added a bigger amp and new front speakers, and the Concert headunit is the weak link. (I've stopped there, for now...)
You've got a great deal on a great amp. But you will be tempted to upgrade the rest of the system. Just be prepared.
Not that upgrades are a bad thing, mind you.
For less than $1000 you can put together a very nice sounding car system, including labor. But don't think that a high powered amplifier driving stock speakers is going to satisfy you for very long. It would be the equivalent of watching Tiger Woods play mini-golf, or watching Mario Andretti drive around the KMart parking lot, looking for a parking space.
You know that they are capable of so much more, but circumstances limit what they are able to do.

Have fun !!

-- Peter