Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options for 1997 Audi A4 Delta System

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options for 1997 Audi A4 Delta System

Just bought a 97 A4 with the Delta stereo, which I want to upgrade. I just want real good sound. I thought if I add a 4 channel amplfier, new rear speakers, and new front speakers (probably a little later than the backs) the system would sound real good. But a local shop is telling me that this would only sound marginally better than the existing system, because the head unit is part of the problem, and that I should change out the head unit (for something that sounds better with more power) and speakers -- getting a high power head unit would negate the need for an amplifier. Problem is, I really like the way the had unit looks and its features. I'm concered that ANY other head unit will look aftermarket, and the lights at night wont match the rest of the dash.

Figure someone on this link has experience with this. Suggestions and options are appreciated (and if possible, include costs). Would the amplifier/speaker option really not improve the sound quality that much? Thanks.
Old 03-19-2001, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Options for 1997 Audi A4 Delta System

I just changed everything behind the Symphony head unit. I transfered everything over from my old car. Sure it sounds better but not as good as when I had my Alpine head unit. The bass is not a strong, crisp and tight. Now I'm seriously considering changing my stock head unit but like you I like the look of the factory stereo Decisions decisions....
Old 03-19-2001, 11:20 AM

Default my delta unit sounds grrrreat!

i've not yet changed the speakers, but from what i can tell, it provides a full-range output, and you'll never get anything after market that looks good.

i bet the installation guys took a look at the back of your radio and decided they did not want to spend time/money building a proper adapter.

i'd reccommend you do. i built one. it sounds good. and my car looks factory, so local hoodlems are not encouraged to break into the car and steal all my gear.

thats all.
Old 03-19-2001, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Options for 1997 Audi A4 Delta System

I saw that Sony just released a new in-dash CD/MP3 player. It's in their Xplod series, and the display is red & white. It appears that it will match well with the rest of the dash. I think that's the way I'm leaning, I've been waiting for an MP3 unit that will look good in the dash. That's my $.02.