Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phatbox install - pleasantly easy!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phatbox install - pleasantly easy!

After studying all the various different install instructions posted on AW, I decided to take the easy way out and do Jonah's velcro install on my 02 S4. Luckily I already had a roll of industrial-strength velcro, that I bought for earthquake-proofing some shelves.

I cut the strips for the wide shelf on the RH side of the changer compartment, and decided to cut a super-thin strip for the little thin shelf on the LH side. In retrospect, this did almost nothing, because the angled edges of the phatbox means that the velcro barely touches on there. If I had to do it again, I would put a strip of velcro on the vertical edge for the left side, instead.

Couple of tips for anyone else considering doing this. Put the hook-side of the velcro onto the changer compartment, and the fluffy-side on the phatbox. The hook-side sticks to the trunk liner interior, which can be annoying. Also, to make final positioning easier, put a thin sheet of paper on top of the velcro in the changer compartment, slide the phatbox in on top, get the positioning exactly where you want it, then hold the phatbox in place with one hand and pull the paper out with the other. This stops the velcro attaching too early. Once that stuff is stuck, you're not getting the phatbox out again without a major struggle!

One side note, my compartment cover for the cd changer/toolbox keeps coming off while I'm driving, and the toolbox flies out. Anybody got a quick fix for that? I keep having to jam heavy objects up against the door to keep it in place. Now I've got the phatbox installed I'm worried about the toolbox hitting the phatbox cartridge on its way out.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just got one and thought those brakets where supposed to be used in the changer compartment...

I was totally thrown off by it and had no clue how they expected it to be done that way. I've just got the phatnoise unit in there by itself and might do the velcro method or just put 2 of the screws in there to make sure it doesn't move around...although it's pretty wedged in there with no screws or velcro already.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You need to remove half the trunk interior in order to use the brackets

To use the brackets, you need to pull out the trunk liner, in order to get the changer compartment out, so that you can attach the brackets to it. Just use velcro instead