Sponsored by:

Please help me troubleshoot no sound on rear speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 11:35 AM
r0n
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me troubleshoot no sound on rear speakers

I have a 2001 A4 1.8. The drivers side has some kind of electronic piece next to the speaker.

There was some wires tie wrapped. I removed the tie wrap to get ready to tap into the wires so I can connect to the high level inputs of a amp I bought for a subwoofer. But when I went to test it I had no sound. I notice one of the wires disconnect to the speaker connection and pushed it up to connect it but still got no sound. I think when I pushed it up it might have hit the chassis.

I have no idea to how to trouble shoot the problem. I do have knowledge of installing a basic stereo system but don't anything on how the Audi speakers are wired up with the electronic piece next to the left speaker.

Currently nothing is tapped in to the stock wires. I just want to get sound to the rear speckers working. Once that is achieve I'm going to tap the wires on right side speaker wires where it's only 2 wires.

What would be the steps on troubleshooting this problem. I have made sure it was grounded to the chassis and disconnected the blue plug to the amp next to the left speaker. What's next?

Thank You.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If you touched the speaker out to ground then you've probably destroyed the puny amp

Just locate the ignition on wire (12v when radio is on) and the left & right pre-outs (connect a small speaker across these and you should get a very small signal), then use these to feed a decent amp to drive the rears.
You don't need to use the high level input on your sub amp, as pre-outs are already there just need RCA's connected.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:44 PM
r0n
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: If you touched the speaker out to ground then you've probably destroyed the puny amp

Good idea. Where are the pre-out's located? I don't have a schematic on the stereo system.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:04 PM
r0n
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Problem resolved

Btw, there's no RCA preout's on the 2001 symphony stereo.

I probably never had the rear speakers working. Had the car since April. Never sat in the back of the car so never noticed it.

The problem was 2 wires wasn't connected to the harness/connector. The previous owner had a basslink installed but took it off before he sold me the car. What doesn't make sense is he have to 2 wires disconnect from he connector because he had a already a connector on the speaker wires for the hi level input. That's where I tapped the wires for my amp for the subwoofer.

All fixed, what made it difficult is not having the color codes of the speakers and all of the original harness was cut, attached with different color wiring.

Thanks ALL for your help.

-R
Old 12-19-2004, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default There are pre-outs on all Audi head units

They are usually on a bright yellow mini ISO connector. You need to just buy a Blaupunkt RCA adapter to get standard RCA's<ul><li><a href="http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=79">http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=79</a</li></ul>
Old 12-19-2004, 05:26 PM
r0n
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: There are pre-outs on all Audi head units

Yes I did know that the HU had pre-outs, but wasn't sure if the HU had rca pre-outs which it didn't... well mine didn't. I did know about the adapter, they also have a single pair version.

From what I read you don't need to buy the adapter, just buy the rca with the wires on the other end and splice into your wires.

I'm glad I found the fix because I didn't have the budget for another amp and speakers.