Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

plotting out the rest of my system install..any help / opinions are much appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2001, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plotting out the rest of my system install..any help / opinions are much appreciated.

ok..here's what i've got now.

alpine head unit, rockford 250a2 bridged to 2 mtx 12s.

i have in my bedroom an alpine eraG320 eq, a rockford 400a4 for the front and rear speakers, a rockford 1 farad cap, and a set of 4" blaupunkt velocity components for the front.

i took off the door panel the other day to install the components, but after checking out the setup, i figured i would leave it for the pros..seems to be a rather large pain in the *** to get everything mounted (especially since these are 1" tweets)

now for the questions:

1) are 4" components adequate in this car w/o rear speakers, or should i get rear 6.5s in addition..or ditch the 4s and get 5.25s?

2) anyone with a similar eq (single-din height, .5" deep faceplate) come up with someplace good to mount it? i've been considering a climate control relocation job..but i'm a little leery of doing this.

3) (i feel like i should know this one) is the gauge of power cable going into the cap of huge importance in this setup?

thanks mucho for any help guys.

keith
Old 05-17-2001, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default some answers....

#1- 4" speakers are not adequate for midbass reproduction... especially if you plan to eliminate the rears. On the other hand, 6.5's are difficult to do because they will not fit inside the doors without serious modifications. You have to make custom pods to accomodate them. (a big job to say the least). 5.25's, although not the ideal solution, will at least do a better job than 4's, and you can easily fit 5.25's with a bolt-on MB Quart adaptor ring (available through MBQ dealers for $40-$50 bucks)and no other modifications. There are some brands of 5.25" speakers that can produce an "adequate" amount of midbass, but then again, it's a compromise of how much you want to modify your car vs how much midbass is enough for you.

#2- no comment

#3- Not too sure on this one, but I'd assume you should use at least the same gauge that you have running from the battery to the distribution block in the trunk. Are you using 4ga?