Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to program a Switchblade remote to work with an aftermarket keyless system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible to program a Switchblade remote to work with an aftermarket keyless system?
Old 07-19-2002, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not really. However, it's possible to program an the remote from an aftermarket security system

to deactive the factory Audi alarm. Check out my posting on the Alpine 8028 I had installed. At least three other S4ers/AWers had my install shop do the same deal for them following my posting, and they're all very satisfied. I got my dealer to make me a master key that looks like the valet key, but it's a master (basically a normal looking non-folding key) which I carry on the Alpine remote. Works great...<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/541834.phtml">Alpine 8028 Security System</a></li></ul>
Old 07-19-2002, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Maybe i can swap electronics from the aftermarket remote...

...into the Audi switchblade remote?
Old 07-20-2002, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Why??? The aftermarket remote is smaller and lighter...

besides, it's not the remote that works the Audi security system, it's the aftermarket alarms CPU. So, I don't think it would work.
Old 07-21-2002, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i struggled with this same thing for a while and honestly...

i like my folding key way too much. i have had previous aftermarkets on other cars and they really do nothing more than make noise. some have back-up batteries and such but really, if someone wants it, nothing is going to stop them. don't get me wrong i believe in prevention which is why i lock my car with the factory alarm and keep the rear seats and trunk locked. the factory alarm makes noise, which is enough for me. fort knox just seems like a waste. oh and did i mention i like my switchblade key!
Old 07-22-2002, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default However, given the rash of east coast thefts, they are not pros, they're kids, and the factory alarm

just isn't cutting it. I do agree that a pro will get your car if he really wants it, but some after market alarms are much higher quality than the factory alarm, and are much more difficult to bypass, including ignition cutoffs, etc. I carry the folding key for my wife's Jetta, and the aftermarket remote with a regular key on my S4, and you know what, the folding key is heavier and bulkier. I prefer the ligher arrangement, but that's just me.
Old 07-22-2002, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that folding key is def heavier than most anything out there...

but just the design worthiness of the piece excites me (but then again i am a designer sooo). heck those s4 have been stolen like crazy up in the northeast. ridiculous really. audi should examine the problem personally, because from an exterior view it seems these cars are way to easy to get into. dont get me wrong, the alarms i had were nice, but expensive and got to be a pain in the *** to deal with. the one i was looking at for the a4 was between $500 and $700. i really can't see spending less because if you are going to do it, you need all the backup and starter-kill stuff. i am so overly cautious with my cars that it is ridiculous, esp with all the audio equip i carry around. i just know too many that show off all their stuff even with the big alarms and their stuff still gets ripped off.

but if they could figure a way to reprogram my remote to work with an aftermarket, i would seriously look into it.
Old 07-23-2002, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're right about the stereo, and showing it off....

I don't show it to anyone I don't know. Stealth is the way to go. I also get a kick out of folks who have it so cranked up that you hear it half a mile away, then they pull into a parking lot, lock the car and walk away. WAY TO ADVERTISE!! I am very careful in terms of turning it down when I pull into a parking lot, and again, not showing it off. You are also correct that a good security system is going to cost between $500 and $700. But, in NYS, you only get an insurance discount if the alarm set's passively (i.e., set's by itself after a specified amount of time). The factory alarm doesn't do that. So, if you take into account the $50 or so per year discount on the insurance you're going to get, it aint so bad. That and the added piece of mind sold me.

As for them being a PITA, I've had good ones and bad ones. The manufacturers of the systems I've had are consistent in that Alpines have always been good and reliable, with no falses and no problems, and the Vipers and Cliffords I've had have always STUNK. That's why I'll only go with an Alpine system in the future.
Old 07-26-2002, 07:25 AM

Sorry, but what about Lojack, or a manual ignition kill switch?
Old 07-26-2002, 07:26 AM

The best is when they cover the car in expensive audio brand decals... takes the guesswork away

Quick Reply: Is it possible to program a Switchblade remote to work with an aftermarket keyless system?