Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power draw in my TT - question for the experts here

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Power draw in my TT - question for the experts here

I have a Kenwood 815DVD headunit and amp installed in my TTR.

I have a power draw happening when the car is off. If I dont drive the car for 36 hours... I have to jump it.

The way the car stereo place installed my radio... I can turn my radio on even when there is no key in the ignition. Is this normal? This to me sounds like the radio will be drawing power even when the car is turned completely off.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default you should go bring it back to that place...

its either they wired it completely wrong. is it on even when you car is off? like you can listen to everything? also maybe the amp is on when u turn ur car off also. that would draw a lot more power than the radio. than again maybe your battery is dieing??.... josh
Old 08-16-2005, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I can listen to EVERYTHING when the car is off

Is this normal?

The amp definitely powers off when the radio turns off... cause I see the power LED on the amp go out when the radio turns off.

If the amp was drawing power... it would probably drain in less than 12 hours I am thinking.

Can you turn your car stereo on when you key is totally out of the ignition? I can... and that might be the problem.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes, you can turn your car stereo on when the key is out. Audis have been able to do

this for years.
Where did they get power for your h/u? From a constant source, obviously, but I'm wondering if they tapped into something they shouldn't have. Definitely take it back to the installer. They should be able to check it out for free.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I already tried taking it back to them on this before

They are claiming its an issue with the car. They say they supposedly tested the car with the equipment unplugged and there was still a draw when they used the multimeter.

I am taking it to them on Friday and having them disconnect the amp and the radio.

Then I am not going to drive it for the 36 hours and see if I need to jump the car.

This has been soo goddam aggrevating... as I sit here at home waiting for someone to come and jump my car. Hrmmgh.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hmmm, draw without any equipment? Do your interior lights go out when you lock the car?

Do all of your door close indicator signals work? What about them possibly having run a wire somewhere they shouldn't have? Bad ground somewhere?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Hmmm, draw without any equipment? Do your interior lights go out when you lock the car?

Not sure. Maybe... but everything seems to be in working order.

I am real curious to see if this happens when the audio is disconnected.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default bull****. your shop sucks.

does your radio turn off when you take the keys out or do you have to turn the radio off manually?

this is NOT normal and do not believe any more bull**** the shop tries to feed you.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Radio stays on... i have to manually turn it off... many other people here report the same...

Many other people here say the same thing... radio will stay on (even stock radio) when keys are taken out.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i found your problem

they are using a constant 12v for their remote. they are NOT using a switched 12v for the remote like they should be. if they say this is an "audi problem", that is just complete bull****. tell them to not use the harness 12v and to tap a switched 12v from another source. if they do not, demand your money back from your install and demand that they buy you a new battery.

obviously your shop knows nothing about basic car electronics.

Quick Reply: Power draw in my TT - question for the experts here