Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with MB Quart adapters and Sound Quality (A4)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with MB Quart adapters and Sound Quality (A4)

Do those of you who have used the adapters have a rim of space between the speaker and adapter and then another rim of space in between the adapter and the door panel? It seems to me that this reduces alot of vibration that might come with speakers attached to the door panel, but then it would also prevent a tight seal between the front and rear of the speaker housing.

Would this reduce the amount of midbass I hear and feel from my BA 5.5's. I don't know how much I should expect with them crossed over at 125Hz but something sounds amiss.

Another issue with my stereo is, after I setup my system with new speakers, amps, a sub and a Pioneer headunit, it can be played a lot louder, cleaner, and without distortion, but the sound is not full.

I mean, midbass is near non-existant and definitive clarity is absent as well. If I turn off the sub my system sounds like crap.

My friend's Civic with just my old Pioneer DEH730 sounds better without a subwoofer (fuller, louder) than mine does with a lot of expensive crap in it.

Higher quality and thicker speaker wire would only make the sound cleaner rather than give it the kind of improvements I'm looking for, correct?
Old 07-29-2002, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Try a few things

I have lack of midbass as well, but I'm using Diamond HEX S500a's and they're in a sealed kick enclosure of adequate size (according to Diamond's techs) but I have lack of midbass.

For you, x-over your BA's at the same point your subs are. If subs are 80Hz lowpass, x-over the BA's at 80Hz highpass. That's the first thing to try.

From them, you could try sealing the space between the speaker adaptor and the door with silicone. Very easy. Sealing the space between the speaker and the adaptor can be more tricky. The major benefit of doing that is going to be less vibrations between speaker/adaptor, and probably not effect the sound a whole lot.

Speaker wire isn't the issue, unless you just used some really crap speaker wire that wasn't at least 16ga. I run 12ga to my separate but if you dont push more than 100w, 16ga is adequate.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's hard to get that much midbass from 5.25s. That's why I went to 6.5s up front.

Big improvement. With your highpass at 125Hz, that's high for good midbass. That's one of the reasons it sounds the way it does without the sub. You'll have to do like HDClown said and move the lowpass to 125hz to help with the dip you're experiencing in the midbass. Only cure I know for it though is to get the biggest speaker you can fit up front.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default X-over @ 125 Hz is pretty high.

I have MB 215.61Q and I have the x-over @ 80 Hz. Sounds pretty good. Midbass is still not what I would like but that's just because it's only a 5.25" speaker. I'll bet that if you seal up those spaces between the panel, speaker, and adapter it may help some. I was not aware of this space because I didn't do the install so I'm not sure if I have the same problem.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Can you post some pics of your 6.5s? I assume they are in kicks?

Or in custom doors? I'd like to see. If you fit them in stock door locations, DETAILS!!!
Old 07-29-2002, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, you want to seal the cone front from back.
Old 07-29-2002, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ;-) They're in the doors.......I did not mod the outside of the door panel.

I might do something a little different inside the door itself soon...if I do, I'll take some pics.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It helps some, but it's just the 5.25. I have the 218.61s in my doors for that very reason.

Even without sealing everything, the mid bass is WAY better than when I had the PSC213s up front. One thing I have noticed when driving, road vibration will kill a little midbass.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:05 PM

Wow 6.5's fit? How much modification?
Old 07-30-2002, 12:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Had to do some trimming of pieces of the panel on the inside and build

something to mount the driver to the door....Alot of this is dependant about how deep the speaker is (don't try this with B/A pros. :-p ) and getting it just right to clear the window and the door panel itself.

Quick Reply: Problem with MB Quart adapters and Sound Quality (A4)